Calling ALL Dog Fosters and Non Fosters Alike! Fostering Dogs - Tips, Recommendations, and Places

Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hi there! :frow

So, originally, I was hoping to get a Golden Retriever or some other large breed dog from a breeder as a puppy.

I realized that it's a little out of budget, and I'm moving out soon, so it wouldn't be the best fit.

This is a little bit of our current situation:
  • We will be able to start fostering in the next 6 months or so (not immediately, though)
  • We have two dogs that are getting on in their age, a miniature poodle and a toy poodle
  • We have other animals (no cats, though) including chickens, parakeets, fish, a hedgehog, and an axolotl
  • We have a fenced dog run that connects to our deck, but no current fully fenced yard
  • We can walk dog's multiple times a day for exercise, or go to a dog park if compatible
  • We live in Western Washington
  • I'm moving out in the next 4-5 years
  • We have plenty of space in our home
  • FYI, my family has decided that for at least the first couple dogs, we don't want to foster ones with fighting backgrounds
  • We want to foster a larger dog

My family and I have decided that fostering seems like a good compromise because:

• We can meet many new dogs, so when I'm living on my own, I can think back and decide what qualities were my favorite
  • We can help care for animals that need homes - to me this is one of my values - freeing up space for more dogs to be taken in
  • It's a much shorter commitment than adopting a puppy and keeping it for life - 15 years vs a couple months or weeks
  • Helping makes me really happy. Being around dogs curbs my social anxiety and depression
  • It's much more affordable. While we're happy to spend what's necessary, often vet care, food, and supplies are provided by the shelter
  • I'm guessing that dogs that go to foster homes are happier than ones in shelters
  • Probably a bajillion other reasons I can't think of right now.
So, those are some of the reasons why we want to foster. Now, I want to know about your foster experiences, if you've done them, or dog keeping experiences in general!

So, a couple of my questions are:

• Does this seem like a good idea?
  • What are some recommended organizations?
  • What breeds should we avoid?
  • What is it like?
  • If you have fostered, did you enjoy it, and would you recommend it?
  • Any concerns or things to be aware of?
  • Tips?
  • What is involved?

I'm excited to go on this journey, and hopefully some of you can help answer my questions!

I know this is a chicken forum, but it seems like it's one of the most active, so hoping some people can help!

Let me know if there's any more information I can provide.

Any concerns or things to be aware of?
I have never fostered, but I have considered fostering rabbits. My main conner would be that I would get to attached and end up either adopting the dog, or having a very hard time letting him/her go. Not sure if its the same for you, but thats the first thing I can think of off the top of my head.
I'll following along, good luck in your fostering venture!

I have never fostered, but I have considered fostering rabbits. My main conner would be that I would get to attached and end up either adopting the dog, or having a very hard time letting him/her go. Not sure if its the same for you, but thats the first thing I can think of off the top of my head.
I'll following along, good luck in your fostering venture!
Thanks! I think it would be hard - I'm hoping that I'll be happy to see the dog go to a good home, and hopefully that will be enough, and knowing that letting them go opens up space to foster more.
Just be careful if you foster an older dog. Sometimes dogs with behavioral issues are dumped at pounds. I'm talking biting and food aggression.
Ok! Definitely don't think my family would be a fan of biting, and our current mini poodle is obsessed with food, so I'd be worried he'd try to eat it and the other dog attack him. Any tips for avoiding older dogs?

Gosh, I'm excited! Anyone have organization recommendations?

I won't be able to foster immediately (There's a lot going on for us right now) but hopefully in the next couple of months!

Back
Top Bottom