Camper or Shed for our next coop?

davidmpenning

Songster
Mar 12, 2019
Michigan
Hi friends! I’m looking for some guidance and help with our next coop!! We live in southwest Michigan - our summers can get in the 90°+F and our winters can get below 0°F.

We have the option for our next coop to be either a typical coop built with lumber (like a shed) OR to repurpose a camper trailer (for a really good price)! But I don’t which would be easier/better.

For the shed option, I’m pretty good with building, and have plenty of friends/family to help. I’ve got the plans ready and have many of the supplies ready (or easily attainable). Plus I’ve got these big beautiful windows that I’ve been saving for this! For the most part, we’d probably only need to buy some of the 2x4s and then plywood for floors. I know this will probably still cost a good amount, but I love that I can fully customize it and make the shed very easily flow into the attached run.

But now we have an older camper we could use, and I’ve heard good things about them. But we would need to add more windows for light/ventilation and we’d need to add vents on the roof. With the camper being so short inside, I’m worried about roof vents, especially in the winter time - since the roof has no overhang. And I’ve heard something about condensation in a camper? The camper is in good condition - I’m just not sure how to add more windows and vents.

Any thoughts on this? Anything I should know that I don’t know? I just keep going back and forth and I’m not sure which option to do.

Thanks!

Hi friends! I’m looking for some guidance and help with our next coop!! We live in southwest Michigan - our summers can get in the 90°+F and our winters can get below 0°F.

We have the option for our next coop to be either a typical coop built with lumber (like a shed) OR to repurpose a camper trailer (for a really good price)! But I don’t which would be easier/better.

For the shed option, I’m pretty good with building, and have plenty of friends/family to help. I’ve got the plans ready and have many of the supplies ready (or easily attainable). Plus I’ve got these big beautiful windows that I’ve been saving for this! For the most part, we’d probably only need to buy some of the 2x4s and then plywood for floors. I know this will probably still cost a good amount, but I love that I can fully customize it and make the shed very easily flow into the attached run.

But now we have an older camper we could use, and I’ve heard good things about them. But we would need to add more windows for light/ventilation and we’d need to add vents on the roof. With the camper being so short inside, I’m worried about roof vents, especially in the winter time - since the roof has no overhang. And I’ve heard something about condensation in a camper? The camper is in good condition - I’m just not sure how to add more windows and vents.

Any thoughts on this? Anything I should know that I don’t know? I just keep going back and forth and I’m not sure which option to do.

Thanks!
If you decide on a build, there are some excellent articles & posts on this site to give you ideas and help as you go.

And post your building plans for help before you build! It's easy to underestimate your future flock size, unless you have city codes to follow. Here we've added to our original shed coop three times, and only by excersizing great restraint (so far) have I avoided adding coop space in the barn and workshop...
Consider a dirt floor in the coop, or ideally concrete, so it's a walk-in structure.
Mary

Last edited:

Thanks!
To cut cost a little and go faster, you could start with a pre-fab shed then cut windows, etc. Customize as necessary. We're pretty happy with our shed conversion, and wish I'd done it from the start. Likely it's smaller than most would want, but big enough for our 5 girls and a bale of field grain.

Back
Top Bottom