Can a rooster mate only one hen?

Pics
I was worrying about a rooster mating only one hen, can you please tell me if the rooster can mate only one hen?
If you have multiple hens and one roo and they are all together he will mate all the hens more then likely.
He may have a favorite hen he likes to mate out of the bunch and mate her more then the othera but moat roos will mate all hens available to him.

Do you mean that you only have one hen? Or do you want him to only breed one hen in the flock and leave the others alone?
A rooster will mate anything that will be still long enough for him to mount. Doesn't matter if you have one or twenty. If she's still long enough, she's getting bred. Generally, you need about 10 hens to prevent the rooster from overbreeding to the point of causing damage to the hens, but this depends mostly on the individual rooster. Some are very gentle and won't cause any feather damage even with only a few hens. Others are clumsy and will have all the hens bald on the backs even if there are 20 of them.

A roo/cockerel will mate 1 hen, or 100. If he's in the mood, he'll be breeding every 10 minutes. Pity the poor hen who receives all of that attention. I've even seen a cockerel treading a coffee can. Thankfully, there were no progeny produced from that GE experiment! Though, it would simplify breakfast. One stop prep for eggs and coffee.

Im sorry my prego brain may have taken the question wrong..
Yes it can mate just one hen but is not recommended like @junebuggena said the hen will get over mated with there just being her for him. 3 is a low number as well but better then 1. And also like mentioned all depends on the Roo as well.
I highly recomend enough hens to fulfill his needs if you want to keep him or rehome him if you dont have a way yo have more hens for him.
Not sure if that is what you ment. Im sorry if i mistook the question.

Do you mean that you only have one hen? Or do you want him to only breed one hen in the flock and leave the others alone?
A rooster will mate anything that will be still long enough for him to mount. Doesn't matter if you have one or twenty. If she's still long enough, she's getting bred. Generally, you need about 10 hens to prevent the rooster from overbreeding to the point of causing damage to the hens, but this depends mostly on the individual rooster. Some are very gentle and won't cause any feather damage even with only a few hens. Others are clumsy and will have all the hens bald on the backs even if there are 20 of them.
Thanks! 3 hens will do!

Back
Top Bottom