Spiderduck

Songster
Jul 16, 2017
Peterborough uk
So i have 12 eggs under a lamp in a box with a damp towel underneath. Also using some foil to keep the heat in. But left some room for the air to escape. Cant be too hot.

Temp is around 37.

I dd hear a peep on day 22 at 6pm.
Then i heard a peep again on day 23 at 10am.

No movement since. Eggs look hard, no pips as far as i can tell.

I was wondering is it okay to candle the eggs gently on day 24.

On tapping the eggs i can hear no sound...

Any advice would be great.

Also- my broody died a day before hatching day. So on day 20. The eggs may have got cold. Brought them in as soon as we could under a lamp etc.

There could be a delay in hatching.. but this long....

Yes you can candle them. Try riolling them over first they may have pipped the underside.

That wont harm them would it?

Like ive heard of chicks drowning in the yolk sac if they are turned over.

However i will try that before i candle them. As i need to find flashlight somewhere haha

I did hear a peep so maybe youre right. It cant get out because its the wrong way up...

That wont harm them would it?

Like ive heard of chicks drowning in the yolk sac if they are turned over.

However i will try that before i candle them. As i need to find flashlight somewhere haha

I did hear a peep so maybe youre right. It cant get out because its the wrong way up...
If you dont want to move them you dont have to to candle. I use the light on my phone. If they pip the bottom it wont stop them from hatching but any remaining liquid could block the pip hole and block off air. At this point the yolk shouldnt be anywhere near their face.

I candle and check for hidden pips if i have any late hatchers and havent had a problem.

20180404_104011.jpg

Aa you can see there is a pip. Is it going to come out soon? Maybe that was the problem is couldnt hatch it was the wrong way..
Will that cause any problems to the chick?

If you put eggs on flat hard surface egg will roll into correct position for hatching.Put a mark on side of egg facing up then put egg back in hatching box with mark on egg facing up

If you put eggs on flat hard surface egg will roll into correct position for hatching.Put a mark on side of egg facing up then put egg back in hatching box with mark on egg facing up

Ahh i should have known this before. When the eggs came indoors. I didnt know. All i knrw was to not move them too much ans keep them as they are.

Back
Top Bottom