Can I feed my chickens an all rice diet?

Buhbuhz24

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 13, 2011
I previously lived in Vietnam, where my family had a farm. In this farm we had about 20+ chickens (not including the chicks) . We only fed them uncooked rice (and sometimes cooked) for their diet. Their eggs were hard and all and they seemed fine on this diet. In Vietnam, we let our chickens free roam the property letting them eat anything they find. I was wondering if I can do that here in my backyard? (we live in america now) Thank you so much! :)

welcome-byc.gif

An all rice diet would not ordinarily provide them with everything they need nutritionally so my guess is that in Vietnam they were finding enough nutrition in the form of bugs and vegetation to remain healthy with the addition of the rice. You could try the same thing here but a lot of it will depend on what is available in your new area. Also, how big the area is, and how many of them are free-ranging the space. At the end of the day, you might find that supplementing their browse with a layer feed that provides their nutritional needs is cheaper than feeding them rice though.

Oh okay! Thank you
big_smile.png
I might have to look into places around where I live to give them layer feed then? But recently I've been having terrible luck with that -__- Lol, but the thing is i just got my chickens today! (one orange chicken & one reddish looking one) I don't know what age they are but they aren't adults yet, but a month? month & a half maybe.. hmm, does anybody live in shoreline,wa and can tell me where I can buy chicken feed?

Quote:
If you can do that, you can probably get away with it.

Do note though, depending on where you live in America, range land/forest land/ field will not necessarily have the same biodiversity as you had back in Vietnam that was able to give the chickens what they needed.

Here is one big thing to consider, chickens are considered the decedents of red jungle fowl, red jungle fowl are from SE asia, much like Vietnam....thus can probably find what they need to eat to live well in their "home range". Outside of their home range, such as in the US, they might not be able to meet their nutritional requirements at all.

Ah, shoreline WA.

My chickens are in Everett WA. I supplement fenceless free range with layer pellets. Make sure you have a Raccoon proof house for them to live in. Raccoons will take your birds anytime from dusk till dawn. Also if you birds are small, watch out for hawks. Hawks will also come and kill your birds in the day if they are not covered or hawk wise birds.

I get my feed in Everett at the Co-op on Hewett and State. For just two birds, they have a bulk bin to buy it in as little as you need at once. About 60 cents a pound.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...&ved=0CAQQtgM&iwloc=cids:14243569745853169794

Ah okay! I'll probably end up asking my neighbor that lives a few houses down the road where he gets his chicken feed (he owns a bunch of Jersey Giant's) . Thank you all for your answers :) I'm glad i found this website!

It is unclear to me if you were asking one question or two.

I would like to address the "free roam" portion, only for clarification.

I am currently chicky sitting for some neighbors. One of the issues I have had to address while doing this is "free roaming." There are no property line fences in this neighborhood that would keep a chicken in or out of neighboring yards. This has caused a great deal of ill will. The neighbors without chickens don't like walking across their yard with the other neighbor's chicken droppings all over it. They are upset that they have to keep their dog on a leash when outside, yet the neighbors chickens roam free, and the neighbor with the chickens has threaten to sue them if their dog harms any of the chickens even if the chicken's are in the dog's yard at the time of the attack.

So, if you define free roaming as your back yard only, yes, that is great. If your chickens step a toe into the neighbor's yard, depending on your neighbor and the local laws (you should check them out,) you could have great difficulty.

I hope you have found this helpful and I wish you all the best.

Enjoy!

Quote:
This is true.... if you are new to the states, people can be very protective about property lines and such. Many do not appreciate other's pets on their property. You may want to keep your birds semi-confined if there is risk of them wandering to neighbors. I fenceless free range, but have 7+ acres to do so and no neighbors close enough to worry about.

Oh sorry, I didn't mention to you guys that I already checked w/my neighbors and their all fine with the chicken thing. Plus i have a 6-7 foot fence lining all of my backyard. I let them free roam most of the day, from morning (7:30am to 8:30 pm) to night, or depending what time of year it is, since there is less hours of light in the winter and it takes a little longer for the sun to come out in the morning, But thanks for your concern & advice on whether my neighbors were warned about chickens :)

Back
Top Bottom