Can I use a reptile heat bulb for my duck brooder? Recommendations please!!

Newduckmommy1221

Chirping
Sep 25, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Hi experts!!! Right now I am on week 2 for my Indian runner ducklings! They’re so cute but I feel are getting too hot sometimes with the heat bulb 175Watts I have for them. I’m thinking of either switching to a heat bulb that’s 125watts or 150watts but honestly, the red lighting is blinding and has been causing me so many migraines too. I know it’s soothing for poultry so I’m willing to put up with it but I read that using a reptile heat bulb/lamp with no light can work as well. I have gone on google and typed it in to see what options but there’s an overwhelming amount and I don’t want to get the wrong one either, so what do you experts recommend I do and get! Thanks!!

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 4
Why do you want non red can you imagine trying to sleep with a 125 watt bulb (white) light shining in your face? Google what is best for brooding poultry it’s either red blue or no light like the reptile ones. Or it always has been.

I used a ceramic infrared reptile heater for my runners it worked great and they don't emit and light just lovely lovely warmth - DO make sure if you use one of these that the fixture the bulb screws into is a ceramic socket made for heat lights.

x2! I tried the black reptile bulbs last year and like them better than my Brinsea brooder plate. Far far better than the old red bulbs.

Why do you want non red can you imagine trying to sleep with a 125 watt bulb (white) light shining in your face? Google what is best for brooding poultry it’s either red blue or no light like the reptile ones. Or it always has been.
I’m looking for something with no light at all, just heat. I think I should have been more specific. I know bright normal lighting doesn’t let them sleep and that blue and red lighting is soothing for poultry but I’m more interested in trying out a non lighting heat bulb used for reptiles.

Back
Top Bottom