Can Young Chicks Have Bumblefoot? Pictures!!

angelbabyamy

Songster
11 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Myrtle Point, OR
I hope I didn't make a stupid mistake! I bought some Lavender Orpington and Marans chicks Friday. I met the seller in a parking lot and it was dark, they appeared healthy so I paid her and took them home.
I haven't messed with them much,but when I was cleaning the brooder yesterday as I took them out, I turned them all upside down to check for pasty butt and noticed what appears to be black sores or red spots on the bottoms of their feet. Some looked black,so I tried to pull it off the foot of one, thinking it was old dried on poop, and when I pulled it off, it put a hole between the chick's toes! I brought home 20 chicks. The oldest hatched February 12 and the others are probably a week or so younger.
The bottoms on some appear swollen, I can't pull the scabs off easily.I'm afraid to mess with them. They appear healthy.I would say about 2/3 have these type of sores. They were not on medicated feed,so I started them on that. Do you think they could have been on rough bedding or on dirty litter? Can chicks this young develope bumblefoot? Would the medicated feed help if there were staph? It contains Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate.
I am worried, they weren't cheap and I drove 300 miles round trip.
Here are a few photos. These are 2 different chicks, Please ignore the dirty fingernail!
roll.png

they look like there were kept on cement or something hard. i had chicks like that that i had on cement, they developed sores so i moved them. I wouldnt mess with them. if there walking fine id leave them and just keep an eye on there feet. what i did wit mine was put antibiotic ointment on a small peice of gaze and taped it to the bottom of there feet like if u made a splint for crooked toes.

Doesnt look like bumblefoot, looks like a callous but could get infected. understand your concern.

I place about an inch of warm/very warm water in a rubbermaid container, add some epsom salts and I like to add pine shavings to create a spongy wet mess that the birds can stand on.

put them in there for 10-15 mins, watching the temp of the water, dont want them to chill, I have done this with older birds not chicks..

take them out, let them dry in another brooder of dry pine shavings and then inspect them and give them a quick spray of blue kote, make sure you are wearing an old shirt, there will be purple over spray.

since they are chicks, they should heal fast.

nice catch. good observation skills.

I was in the same situation as you and I disagree with thee others . I believe my chicks and your do have bumble foot . I brought mine home from tractor supply . Like you I thought it was dried poop but it wouldn’t wipe off with a warm clothe . 4’ of my golden comets do not have any and they were taken from another contal. I separated them thee ither 6 I soaked their feet in epsom sals and then it siogten them enought to be able to pull them off snd Putin slight pressure for possible pus then triple antibiotic ointment and a bandage . When I was able to remove the bumble it came off like a tic intact and kind of a joke beneath it. These chicks must have been in horrid conditions to get them so young. Best part is not only for tractor supply not take back the chicks they tried to sell me a remedy. . They came like that. Now I know what to look for. Good luck to you. Heres pic of mine just like yours

I cant figure out how to add a picture it wants the url . I wish I could they have the same thing going on as yours

This is a 12-year-old thread, and every person who posted on it has not been online in minimally 2 years. You may want to start your own thread about this.

To add pictures, I click the Attach files on the bottom left, then it opens my files where I navigate to the photos I want.

Welcome to BYC, btw! :frow

Back
Top Bottom