canning jar question

I had an aunt who used to reuse commercial mayo jars and such for her canning. We tried never to eat anything she canned, because we usually couldn't recognize it. just sayin'...

This is the way I got it when I was asking around about this:

Theoretically: No you shouldn't.
In practice: Eh, whatever.

Basically I know people from both schools of thought... one being commercial jars are one use only, don't seal proper and can't be fixed and don't risk it. The other is, well, I use it for my family and it seals fine you just gotta be a bit more careful because they explode easier (not as nice of a tempered glass).... personally? I use them for fruits/jellies/jams - things that last a long while... I get spare lids from where lids come from (a mama lid and a daddy lid...).... and then I dip them in hot wax to seal them just a little more. It's the old farming method.

People give me *** for it sometimes... but my good ol' timey awesome Mother in Law uses PLASTIC jars for her stuff and it NEVER goes off and tastes amazing. (I know I know, anecdote not fact).... I only use the good stuff for friends/family and the fun cool jars for personal. Date them so you use them in a year and you should be okay as long as it was processed properly.

I'm fairly certain a greater % of Aussies use wax/commercial jar methods than American though because the jars are so pricey here.

(I just noticed you have no idea where to get diff. sized lids - I used teh internets... but it's an Australian site so I don't think it'll help: kitchendirect.com.au )

Last edited:
The commercial jars typically have lug type lids. Fillmorecontainer carries just about every size there is. You can order by the case or individual lid. The individual lid prices range from 10¢ - 15¢.

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/Lids/

I've reused commercial lids....but only for water bath canning things like jams, relishes, pickled items, etc....and only for personal consumption, never for products we sell. I order new lug lids for any jars we want to sell.

Last edited:
You could do what they used to do in long ago days gone by. They would melt a very thick wax over the top of the food and then seal tight with a lid. Back in the days of our grandmothers, there were no rubber gasket seals for around the lid. I bet that if you went to a natural food store that you would be able to find that wax that goes on the top. Just a thought!

Quote:
This is now considered unsafe for food preservation.

I wouldn't do anything the ball canning book suggests you don't do. Most that wax they sold for canning isn't available anymore.

If you are using a pressure canner those jars could burst. To be safe you should never use anything but canning jars made for canning at home. Like said you can reuse store jars for storing dried things,crafts,etc.

Last edited:
lol, thank you for all of the advice . . .
my question was/is does anyone know of a source that sells LIDS that will fit the jars used in store bought products. Kim THANK YOU!!! exactly what I was looking for
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom