Cats and cranky old neighbors

BarbK

Songster
12 Years
Aug 6, 2007
Indiana
Well we have had some minor run ins with my neighbor since we bought our property last May. More recently he has gotten rid of 3 of my barn cats because they come on his property. He said something to me about keeping the cat on my property or he would get rid of it. I responded in kind. My issue is his cat has killed chicks, gone after adult chickens and gone after my rabbits (found its fur and blood on top of rabbit cage over a nest box full of kits). I was ignoring the fact that the barn cats are missing and his cat was still coming over here and going after the chickens till he started going after my rabbits. I have 2 really good experience momma rabbits that I know won't kill the babies but I have 2 first time mommas I am worried are gonna stress out and kill the kits. I am torn on what to do. I don't want to kill the cat but by law I have the right. I don't have the money to buy a trap so I can take the animal to the shelter but I do have a 22.
The neighbor is an old stick in the mud alchoholic that thinks he should be able to tell us what to do on our own property. His wife when I can get her alone is a real sweety. Any attempt to talk is turned into a b@#ching session with him out talking anything we say and not listening to a word. Then he comes back later and says why didn't you come talk to us. I sure wish I could deal with his wife and not him.

First, keep your rabbits where the cat cannot get to them. Second, consider getting a dog that will chase off cats and other animals that intrude into yoru yard. Third, keep you animals on your own property.

Call around to find a cat rescue organization--they may have a trap you can borrow. Or if you have a paintball gun, consider decorating the cat the next time it visits.

Although neighbors' animals in your yard can be annoying, my instinct on this would be that it would only make the situation worse if you were to kill his cat. Not to mention the fact that it isn't the cat's fault that his owner is a moron.

As Sonoran said, lots of rescues will loan you a trap for feral cats. At least that way the cat would get a chance at a normal life where someone would take care of him.

Rabbits are livestock just like chickens, horse, goats and cows and are kept in the barn.

The cat gets into the barn the same as the barn cats, chickens, goats and horse.

Stray barn cats that are dropped of run wild MY cats are kept in the house.

I do not agree with leaving a dog out 24/7 so the dog idea is out.

My dog chases the cat when he sees it. Has gotten ahold of it once and did some damage (caught it on a chicken). He would have killed it if it wouldn't have bit through his lip.\\

Edited to add: Rabbits are in 24 X 30 cages in the barn. My worry is if the cat upsetts the new mommas enough that they kill their babies. So far only damage has been to the cat.

Last edited:
Does the kitty have a collar? If not call animal contol and they will have a sit down with the guy and take the cat because if you REALLY take care of a cat and feed it regularly it will not hunt through your yard looking for a meal... Ohhhhh I would adopt the cat and take good care of him so the wife would not have to worry about him... Invite her over to your house and let her warm up to you. Does she llike the kitty much? Rub it in your nabor's face how happy the cat is and how he has not attacked ANYTING sence you adopted him
tongue2.gif

Quote:
Really? My cats have their foodbowl filled 24/7 and are let in/out as they choose (occasionally I choose to keep them in, but most of the time it is their choice). They both regularly, or perhaps I should say frequently catch birds, roof rats and gophers. I would not trust either with young birds, although the older ones have taught the cats their place. My rabbit chases the cat who does more of the hunting; it is play, and they are best friends, but the rabbit has certainly put the fear of God into the cat a time or two.

To be honest the sheriff said shoot the darn thing. It aint not good if it hunts your stock.
It would be easier for me to take care of a dog but I happen to like cats a little more. I guess the fact that the rabbits need more protecting than cats is gonna make me do it. I have American Blue and White rabbits that are critically endangered so each good animal is needed for breeding.

I volunteer at a shelter in another county and I know for a fact this cat is unadoptable. It will only be euthanized once it is inside shelter walls. I guess it would be kinder for a 1 shot 1 kill. I do happen to be a marksman well woman. I can and will be able to do it in one shot. I have been handling guns for 26 yrs now (since I was 4 yrs old).

chickengal I would if it was possible. I do have my limit of 2 inside kitties though. I just brought home a kitten from a truck pull 2 weeks ago. Poor guys eyes were matted shut and he was emaciated. I limit cause my female has cronic health issues that cost a little.

Quote:
Not for the next 6-12 weeks. Moving the does can stress them out and cause them to kill the kits also. Already tried that and lost 8 kits. Not fun cleaning up half eaten babies.

I am waiting for lunch hours to end and see if any of the rescues from the other county will loan out traps. I know my county doesn't. If they will lend to someone out of county then I will pick up one tomorrow. Reason I don't have the money right now is we had a sump pump go out, car go down (transfer case), funeral, cages needing repair, fence charger stop working and DD needing some money. Costs this month totally blew the rainy day funds outta the water along with the budget. We haven't went grocery shopping for 2 1/2 weeks because we didn't have the money (no biggie we had stuff that needed used in the pantry but didn't want to).

Oh Barb
hugs.gif
When it rains it pours doesn't it! I'm sure your luck will turn around soon! That's alot of big expensices to pop up... Oh isn't that the way it goes
sad.png

Sending good thoughts your way! Things will get better:hugs

And give this to the grumpy old man
smack.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom