Cheryl's Hen House...

Pics
Love the fact that the chicks get mom "up and about". Its great for her.

About a year ago I went back to my home town to visit a long time family friend who unfortunately had to go into a nursing home.

When I walked down the hallway to his room I passed a large activity room and I looked in and saw about 12 residents all sitting along the windows looking out.

When I got to the room I asked what that was all about and he said they have a chicken coop and a pig pen in the courtyard.

You knew I had to take a look before I left. It was a great set up, a very nice coop with a good size covered run. I counted 7 hens (all different breeds). There was also the pig house with run and sunken pool. Two pot bellied pigs called it home The pigs were rescued from the Humane Society.

I spoke with the attendant in the room and she said that they have had the animals for almost three years now and by far they are the biggest hit of anything they have done to make the home a enjoyable place to live.

What a cool deal!!! Thanks for sharing that @scooter147 !!

Soooo....now Mom has decided that I need to get her a couple of chicks that she can brood at her house and then integrate into our flock when we put them into the coop.
th.gif

Texted the hatchery, called my appliance buddy to get another box. Going to Walgreens this afternoon. How did I get into this again??????
lau.gif

Soooo....now Mom has decided that I need to get her a couple of chicks that she can brood at her house and then integrate into our flock when we put them into the coop.
th.gif

Texted the hatchery, called my appliance buddy to get another box. Going to Walgreens this afternoon. How did I get into this again??????
lau.gif
umm you do realize she will want her own coop soon
hide.gif

umm you do realize she will want her own coop soon
hide.gif

After that comment you better hide.
barnie.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
th.gif

Seriously, she knows that she is not physically able to care for them every day once they leave the brooder. However, she is able to raise a couple of chicks to that age in one of her spare rooms just like we are doing. We'll be helping her of course. Cheryl or I or both are there every day doing something or just passing thru so she has some company anyway. She's 3 doors down on our street. She has a golf cart and she goes back and forth between the houses anyway so she can come up and be with the chickens any time she wants once they get out in the coop and run.

And that is my story and I am sticking to it unless otherwise instructed.

barnie.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
th.gif

Seriously, she knows that she is not physically able to care for them every day once they leave the brooder. However, she is able to raise a couple of chicks to that age in one of her spare rooms just like we are doing. We'll be helping her of course. Cheryl or I or both are there every day doing something or just passing thru so she has some company anyway. She's 3 doors down on our street. She has a golf cart and she goes back and forth between the houses anyway so she can come up and be with the chickens any time she wants once they get out in the coop and run.

gig.gif

barnie.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
th.gif

Ahah...next thing you know the chickies will be getting golf cart rides. THAT I want a pic of...I SWEAR I can predict this....
wee.gif
back and forth...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom