Chick broken toe

Puckaster

Chirping
Sep 13, 2018
Isle of wight, England
Hi.
My chick got attacked during the first few days before I separated them and mum to another run. She has been hobbling ever since. I have just noticed today That in fact her toe seems to be broken. Should I do anything about it or just leave them to it? The chick is eatting and drinking well and moving around with the others but just with a hobble and clearly uncomfortable on that foot.

Welcome To BYC!
Do you have any photos?

I have never been successful in fixing a broken toe. If the toe has been broken for a while, then likely already set and will remain bent or crooked all it's life. Mine just managed fine once the break healed.

You could try taping the foot to see if you can correct it - both links with photos show a fix for curled toes, but they will give you a visual on how to try to fix it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/curled-up-chick-toes.1139759/
https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...-toes-are-all-curled-up-whats-wrong-H293.aspx

Thanks for your reply. The chick is moving around with less of a hobble now and seems to be ok. I don't think I'll try to intervene because mother hen is a very protective mum and great quite aggressive if you try to pick them up. I also am afraid I'd damage it further. I don't have any photos of the toe unfortunately. But this is one of mum and chicks. The broken toe is the orange one at the back.

Attachments

• 20180916_101537.jpg
    20180916_101537.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 7
Good to 'handle' mama while she's setting, so she get used to you touching her and learns that you won't harm her. But now you could grab chick after dark to examine.

Thanks for your reply. The chick is moving around with less of a hobble now and seems to be ok. I don't think I'll try to intervene because mother hen is a very protective mum and great quite aggressive if you try to pick them up. I also am afraid I'd damage it further. I don't have any photos of the toe unfortunately. But this is one of mum and chicks. The broken toe is the orange one at the back.
Cute chicks! Protective looking Mama too LOL

You could grab the little one after dark to take a closer look just to see if anything can be done, but even at that age, if the injury is a few days old it can be hard to correct.

Back
Top Bottom