Chick can't walk

ChickChic00

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
I can't remember exactly how old the chick is but I'm certain its at least a month and a half. Chick is using wings to try and balance itself, sleeps on side where right leg joint is. It looks like it's having trouble using that leg. I don't think it's spraddle leg, but I could be wrong. I've never had it before in any chicks that I've Hatched. I've Hatched out around 50 so far. The joint doesn't look swollen or anything from what I could see. I just gave it a bath in some warm water and some Dawn dish soap, because of all the rain, it was muddy in the chickens area. And I wanted to see if there where any cuts or anything. Any help is appreciated. Sorry for such a long post. I have well over 60 chickens, not that new to chickens but I don't know what's wrong with this one. Also other chickens are completely fine.
IMG_20200103_132532380.jpg
IMG_20200103_132658542.jpg
IMG_20200103_132548157.jpg
IMG_20200103_132602662.jpg
IMG_20200103_134239287.jpg
IMG_20200103_133305927.jpg

It ‘s possible that she could have a slipped tendon or a leg bone deformity, such as varus or valgus deformity or a twisted leg. She also could have injured it. I would start some vitamin B complex 1/2 tablet sprinkled on it’s food, or chick vitamins that contain riboflavin (vitamin B 2.) You may need to keep her in a brooder near her food and water. Is she getting around well enough to eat and drink? Can you bring a friend in with her? Are they broody raised or have they been in a brooder?

It ‘s possible that she could have a slipped tendon or a leg bone deformity, such as varus or valgus deformity or a twisted leg. She also could have injured it. I would start some vitamin B complex 1/2 tablet sprinkled on it’s food, or chick vitamins that contain riboflavin (vitamin B 2.) You may need to keep her in a brooder near her food and water. Is she getting around well enough to eat and drink? Can you bring a friend in with her? Are they broody raised or have they been in a brooder?
They have all been raised by me in brooders, she didn't have anything wrong with her when she was younger, and she was fine a week or so ago. Then the past 2-3 days she is limping around can barely walk around. She is in a brooder alone right now with food and water. The water has rooster booster. So that she could get some vitamins in her. I can't fit another chick in the same brooder, cause it's small. I don't want her to move around and hurt herself any more than she is.

I haven't clicked nay of the links yet, but I see all of them have "broiler" in them. She is a black Australorp and Rhode island red Cross. No broilers. I don't keep them at all.
That's just where all the funding for research has come from and still relative to all chicken breeds regardless of class.

Do you feel any heat coming from the leg/foot indicating injury that isn't visible?

Ever seen Marek's at your place?
I just gave it a bath in some warm water and some Dawn dish soap, because of all the rain, it was muddy in the chickens area.
They have all been raised by me in brooders, she didn't have anything wrong with her when she was younger, and she was fine a week or so ago.
So is their brooder area muddy? How long have they been around the other chickens?

Is the bird eating, drinking, pooing... any other symptoms besides limping? Is it being picked on by other chicks? What is fed on a regular basis including treats and supplements?

Can you post a pic of the bird dry?

Sorry you face this. :(

:fl

That's just where all the funding for research has come from and still relative to all chicken breeds regardless of class.

Do you feel any heat coming from the leg/foot indicating injury that isn't visible?

So is their brooder area muddy? How long have they been around the other chickens?

Is the bird eating, drinking, pooing... any other symptoms besides limping? Is it being picked on by other chicks? What is fed on a regular basis including treats and supplements?

Brooder area is not muddy. Brooder is totes. Their pen is muddy. She is eating and drinking, she tries to get around but is unbalanced and uses wing to try to get around but ends up stepping on them and falling. No heat on the area. Have not seen Marek's. Sneezes a bit, tired. Has been with other chicks for about a month. Maybe a little longer. I give all my chicken 7 grain scratch, some meatbird every now and then, oyster shells, and cleaned wheat grain mixed in also. And some later pellets, because it's all mixed together.

Also she is chowing down on food.

Your chicks and pullets should be getting flock raiser feed or chick starter for the best nutrition until they are of laying age, when they can have layer feed or stay on flock raiser. Did you know that scratch grains are only 7% protein, as opposed to 20% for flock raiser/chick grower, and is not a balanced diet? It also contains a lot of milo which is filler for bird seed and has little nutrition. My chickens love a treat of scratch once in awhile, but their feed should make up 90% of their diet. So there could be some problems with vitamin deficiency. Poultry Cell would be a good supplement for her 1 ml per day.

Back
Top Bottom