Chicken Breed Focus - Ayam Cemani

Pics
I was able to hatch 3 AC chicks this spring (1 male, 2 female) and I've noticed that as the male gets older, his ears are turning green. Is this normal? All the pictures of I see of ACs don't show this and I figured I'd just ask in this thread since there are people who know about this breed than I do. Thank you.
This usually means that they are mixed something. So not pure. My boys have solid black earlobes, combs and wattles. There is a slight hint of pink in one's wattles. But that's about the only color you will see on a pure.
Wow... you have all pullets...
I was about to say the same thing!!!

This usually means that they are mixed something. So not pure. My boys have solid black earlobes, combs and wattles. There is a slight hint of pink in one's wattles. But that's about the only color you will see on a pure.

They came from the Toni-Marie line. People talk about her like she's a chicken God around here - is she known to mix breeds & sell them off as pure? I'm only 2yrs into having chickens, so I'm asking an honest question. It would be incredibly easy to pull the wool over my eyes because I know nothing.

They came from the Toni-Marie line. People talk about her like she's a chicken God around here - is she known to mix breeds & sell them off as pure? I'm only 2yrs into having chickens, so I'm asking an honest question. It would be incredibly easy to pull the wool over my eyes because I know nothing.

Tonie Marie had purebred cemanis, so those that are actually from her lines are pure. She did not try to scam anyone with her birds. The breeder you got yours from may not be so honest.

What comes to mind is that they may have mixed in the Mike Bean/ Smithsonian line of "ayam cemani" that are suspected to be high percentage ayam cemani mixes. They were known to have blue/white earlobes.

@Pyxis I don't know much about Toni Marie line. However, if they are showing greenish earlobes isn't that sign of bad genes or cross breeding?

@Pyxis I don't know much about Toni Marie line. However, if they are showing greenish earlobes isn't that sign of bad genes or cross breeding?

Posted just before you ;)

But to add, here are my actual Tonie Marie line hens from Tonie Marie herself:

No blue/green earlobes there.

No, I would have to say that she would not... you said from her 'line'... did you buy them directly from Toni-Marie or from someone else who was breeding from her line?

No, I would have to say that she would not... you said from her 'line'... did you buy them directly from Toni-Marie or from someone else who was breeding from her line?

Great question! I never would have thought of that! I mean honestly my Roosters are directly from GFF....I just bought them from a lady who bought them directly. :confused:

Tonie Marie had purebred cemanis, so those that are actually from her lines are pure. She did not try to scam anyone with her birds. The breeder you got yours from may not be so honest.

What comes to mind is that they may have mixed in the Mike Bean/ Smithsonian line of "ayam cemani" that are suspected to be high percentage ayam cemani mixes. They were known to have blue/white earlobes.

Darn...we have been typing the exact same time!!! :lau. That's awesome! Well I have seen her line of birds and always thought they looked great so...I just wasn't sure based on what he/she said.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom