Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I had quite a discussion with the fellow posters a season or so ago about how Citrone works so, while I'm no expert, my project is based on some robust information hehe. I did originally have a Citrone sebright hen who was absolutely adorable (sadly she was lost to illness) so I am on a quest to get the colour back into my flock. The roo in my avatar is her grandson and has a reasonable chance of carrying the Ig gene. I'm breeding him to an unrelated sebright hen this summer and will see what transpires.

Here are my two original sebright hens - Nugget and Lacey

So pretty!!

Haha yep - Vultures is a good descriptor too. My daughter likens them to the little velociraptors because of the way they run through the grass hehe. My two sebright girls have always ruled the roost, they dominate chickens multiple times their size because in their head they're just bigger chickens!

I have to say, adding the pekin blood has indeed so far resulted in far less flighty and more sociable birds though I will say that they still have that "scrappy" attitude amongst themselves at a very early age. My 8 week olds are hilarious to watch, deciding who's going to be king/queen of the bucket. (I have a stainless steel bucket upturned in their pen that I often sit on and they like to jump up on it and look down on the others who are admiring themselves in the mirrored finish).
That’s so cool!! My Sebrights mantra is, “You can look, but don’t touch!” They will perch on me constantly but no touching allowed!! I think they are a bit vain...

Well, I'm going to be working on breeding my araucanas. The first thing I need to do is figure out which of three cockerels I want to keep. I only have 9 chickens total, and three turned out to be cockerels.
I have for cockerels:
Double tufted blue cuckoo LF, with a lot of silver leakage.
double tufted blue paint, LF
clean faced blue 'splash' LF with a lot of gold leakage.

my females are:
a bantam white clean faced. She lays greenish blue eggs.
a clean faced salmon colored pullet who's mother was a silver duckwing and father was a color mix. I think he was buff and something else.

I had quite a discussion with the fellow posters a season or so ago about how Citrone works so, while I'm no expert, my project is based on some robust information hehe. I did originally have a Citrone sebright hen who was absolutely adorable (sadly she was lost to illness) so I am on a quest to get the colour back into my flock. The roo in my avatar is her grandson and has a reasonable chance of carrying the Ig gene. I'm breeding him to an unrelated sebright hen this summer and will see what transpires.

Here are my two original sebright hens - Nugget and Lacey

They look lovely.

What info did the previous people give you about Citron?

Well, I'm going to be working on breeding my araucanas. The first thing I need to do is figure out which of three cockerels I want to keep. I only have 9 chickens total, and three turned out to be cockerels.
I have for cockerels:
Double tufted blue cuckoo LF, with a lot of silver leakage.
double tufted blue paint, LF
clean faced blue 'splash' LF with a lot of gold leakage.

my females are:
a bantam white clean faced. She lays greenish blue eggs.
a clean faced salmon colored pullet who's mother was a silver duckwing and father was a color mix. I think he was buff and something else.
I find the Araucanas to look very funny with those tufts.
Do you have a specific color goal you're looking for?

I find the Araucanas to look very funny with those tufts.
Do you have a specific color goal you're looking for?

Goal, not so much. I would have preferred to have gotten my hands on some gold duck wings, but unfortunately my GDW cockerel was killed last summer.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about genetics to know what my combinations will produce.

Yes they are free! I was just trying to weed out homes that might not be humane. I visited one place that wanted the cockerels I already found homes for and it was a really unsafe place. So I’m being extra careful!
Okay, great. I may take the D'Uccle, I always wanted a new one.

Goal, not so much. I would have preferred to have gotten my hands on some gold duck wings, but unfortunately my GDW cockerel was killed last summer.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about genetics to know what my combinations will produce.
I may help you out a bit on color genetic combos later. Just need to ask when ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom