Status
Not open for further replies.
The main purpose that I'm using the extended black is for better barring patterns. This solid Cockerel has alot of orange, but won't be used since he has no barring. He's gonna be culled.View attachment 2007941
I know about that cockerel. You've posted him several times before. The point I'm trying to make is that your cross used to make crele didn't show patterning because of wheaten, it showed it because of buff.

I know about that cockerel. You've posted him several times before. The point I'm trying to make is that your cross used to make crele didn't show patterning because of wheaten, it showed it because of buff.
But, here's a clue to wheaten in chick down. Wheaten shows up in the face of a chick, which most of mine did, except this odd ball. He was pure yellow.

Mine are also sexible by face color, blonde is female, & chocolate is male. The odd ball had to be sexed by wing feathers.

I think that when you are doing research you should always take into consideration other people's opinions and the help that they are offering you. If you always dismiss people and what they are trying to tell you, you are not going to get anywhere in life. No one is ever completely right and that is something that most people do not get. You need the opinions and advice of other people in order to make it in life, if you cannot get along with others or listen to what they are saying you are not going to get anywhere in life.

I know it is hard when people don't communicate in an effective way where it isn't considered being mean or aggressive towards you, but in reality they are just trying to help you out. No one wants to see you fail. Many people who offer advice in here are very familiar and have a lot of years under their belt, I would definitely take their advice and opinions.

When someone speaks to you, you should not be thinking of a way to come back at them. You should be listening to what they say, you don't even have to respond, you just have to listen or read what they say.

This is a place where everyone comes for advice and opinions, it doesn't matter whether or not you like the opinions or advice but making a thread or a comment means that someone is allowed to give their advice or opinions on it.

I bred a gray hen with a barred rooster, they created a non-barred gray chick with a white spot on it's head, which you would think would make it male, but it ended up a large gray hen, who laid a huge tan egg.

Last edited:
I think that when you are doing research you should always take into consideration other people's opinions and the help that they are offering you. If you always dismiss people and what they are trying to tell you, you are not going to get anywhere in life. No one is ever completely right and that is something that most people do not get. You need the opinions and advice of other people in order to make it in life, if you cannot get along with others or listen to what they are saying you are not going to get anywhere in life.

I know it is hard when people don't communicate in an effective way where it isn't considered being mean or aggressive towards you, but in reality they are just trying to help you out. No one wants to see you fail. Many people who offer advice in here are very familiar and have a lot of years under their belt, I would definitely take their advice and opinions.

When someone speaks to you, you should not be thinking of a way to come back at them. You should be listening to what they say, you don't even have to respond, you just have to listen or read what they say.

This is a place where everyone comes for advice and opinions, it doesn't matter whether or not you like the opinions or advice but making a thread or a comment means that someone is allowed to give their advice or opinions on it.
I do take other peoples advice quite a bit, & don't dismiss people unless I feel threatened, and or offended by them. I've had a hard life, bullied for years, & years. I never thought I would see the end of it. All of the torture I've been through has given me a strong mind, & won't give up easily.

I don't mind opinions as long as I'm not confronted by the person who places their opinion in a way I find aggressive.

I actually learn better by myself, with lots of time. If I want help, I'll ask for help. I'm that type of person.

I bred a gray hen with a barred rooster, they created a non-barred gray chick with a white spot on it's head, which you would think would make it male, but it ended up a large gray hen, who laid a huge tan egg.
HeadSpot doesn't mean anything with a mixed breeds.

First off post pics of the "pair" you're talking about.
Just to make sure we're talking about the same two birds.
Then what's the minimum amount of chicks hatched in this experiment?
Got to be more then just 3 or 4 or so. Hate to think you may hatch dozens but then only pick and show a few that look similar. Sorry just my untrusting nature.
Also what do you mean by....
I bet all of the chicks I hatch from my pair will all be the same pattern when grown up.
When qualifies as "grown up"? Hate to have to wait a year to say they're grown.
How about as chicks? If you hatch a variety of colors/patterns such as yellow, black, chipmunk striped, etc. Would we still have to wait till they're grown or would the obvious differences count?

But, here's a clue to wheaten in chick down. Wheaten shows up in the face of a chick, which most of mine did, except this odd ball. He was pure yellow.

Mine are also sexible by face color, blonde is female, & chocolate is male. The odd ball had to be sexed by wing feathers.
I'm not saying they aren't wheaten, I'm just saying that the amount of coloring in your F1 is due to buff, because if you used a wheaten chicken (like a wheaten marans) the chicks would be black in your first generation.
Speaking of your F1 cross, do you have any recent pictures of your F1 hens? I'd like to see them.

The head spot would mean something if the hen was barred and the male was solid colored. That is how you make Black Sex Links. Females usually end up black (or blue if that coloration is involved) with leakage of the rooster’s colors and males end up barred with leakage. It doesn’t work the other was around.

I'm not saying they aren't wheaten, I'm just saying that the amount of coloring in your F1 is due to buff, because if you used a wheaten chicken (like a wheaten marans) the chicks would be black in your first generation.
Speaking of your F1 cross, do you have any recent pictures of your F1 hens? I'd like to see them.
You mean my buff Orpington/Australorp cross hens that I used for the project, no I haven't taken any recent pictures of them.
One of them has a bad case of favus that I'm finally winning the battle with. She's finally regrowing her feathers. She was also over mated by our last rooster which left her back bald.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom