Chicken dying will be putting down soon...very sad

DianeB

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 12, 2009
I'm not sure if this is the right thread. Sorry if it's posted in the wrong spot.

I have a beautiful and sweet RIR that is showing all the signs of ovarian cancer. There is no point in prolonging her suffering. The earliest I can take her in is Tuesday, so at least I have the weekend to say goodbye.
She's not quite 3, which makes it all the more difficult. I feel like I barely got to know her and thought I would have had her for a few more years. My poor chicky chick. I already miss her.

I’m so sorry. Has the vet confirmed nothing can be done for her? I’ve had chickens and waterfowl most of my life and the loss of them never gets easier for me. My very first chickens were 3 Rhode Island Reds and it’s my favorite breed to this day. She’s lucky to have been so loved and cared for. <3

I’m so sorry. Has the vet confirmed nothing can be done for her? I’ve had chickens and waterfowl most of my life and the loss of them never gets easier for me. My very first chickens were 3 Rhode Island Reds and it’s my favorite breed to this day. She’s lucky to have been so loved and cared for. <3
I'll see during the exam. But, I been through this enough times with chickens and other pets to know heroics don't usually work and just prolong their suffering.

Had to put down a cat with a long-term illness last week, too. They always seem to die at once.

In CA. They do free necropsies here. I'm not sure about euthanasing. The vet is waving the appointment fee and only charging for the euthanasia.

Pets give unconditional love. They are always happy to see you, always have time for you, are easy to talk to and don't ever judge. That's what makes it so hard when they pass.

An updated diagnoses is internal laying. She's going in for surgery tomorrow to clean out the excess fluid and remove her ovary. The vet feels very confident that she will pull through the surgery very well. (He's treated a lot of avians.) She's done very well on the antibiotics, lost most of the excess fluid, poops returned to normal, comb and crop improved quite a bit. However, she has lost quite a bit of muscle mass and goes through boughts of extreme exhaustion.

Has anyone had a hen go through a similar surgery? Was it successful?

Back
Top Bottom