Chicken found alive after 1-2 months of being trapped

I don't have the knowledge to make any recommendation. But I think this serves as a good reminder to us all to have nutridrench and such on hand. Not to throw any blame or shame on OP, just emergencies happen at bad times.

I will be watching for updates and wishing for a full and speedy recovery.
I don't think ANY of us were ready for our first real emergency! I'm sure there are full lists on here, somewhere, but here's what my Chicken First Aid Kit has accumulated over the past ten years:

Disposible gloves
Tweezers
Small scissors
Eyedroppers
Small syringes (without needles) for dosing medicines
Vetwrap (non-stick) It's not just for wounds, it's also good for immobilzing wings
Gauze pads
Clean towels (I have two - one for wrapping my patient and one for my lap/cleanup)
Small scalpel with a blade I can sterilize (for bumblefoot)
Set of good pet nail clippers for toenail and beak trims
Super glue and a paper towel for toenail and beak patch/repairs. (I haven't needed this often, but when I did, it was nice to have it right there - and yes, I learned that the hard way!)

Wound cleaner - like Vetricyn,
Bl;u-Kote (keeps others from picking)
Sterile saline for flushing eyes. This needs to be replaced often, so little bottles are best
Corn starch - to stop minor bleeding
Antibiotic salve. Some people recommend no-pain-reliever, as some salves have more numbing agent than is good for small birds. This is not solidly proven, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.
Vaseline - I use it on my single comb birds to ward off frostbite. So far, so good!
Alcohol - not for the birds, for cleaning my tools and wiping down the workspace.

Corid - If and when coccidiosis hits - and it's common - you want this on hand for immediate dosing.
Electrolytes - like Chik-Saver, Pedialyte, etc. I use the indivicual packets to avoid too much waste.
Poultry Vet Rx for treating repiratory issues.
My favorite-du-our mite treatment, currently a poultry dust

2F0BA3B1-6E55-4E55-9CD8-B701C364C945.jpeg

Day 2: She’s still with us!!! Someone asked about her name. It’s Blondie :)
I bought all the electrolytes yesterday, lol (Save-a-chick, Poultry Cell, and Nutri Drench). I gave her .5 ml each of the poultry cell & Nutra drench with a syringe yesterday. She was able to hold up her head on her own starting yesterday morning but was still slumped on her side.
Today she keeps trying to get up, but isn’t able to. She is able to change her position around though, so she’s not on her side as much. It makes me so nervous when she flaps bc I’m scared she’ll hurt herself and/or expend too much energy. But it must be a good sign :fl She’s definitely fighting!
I’ve been continuing to offer her water and mash, and this morning she ate 1/4 of an egg white. She’s also wanting to peck, so I put some grit in there with her.
So far, so good, but I’m worried about refeeding syndrome. I’m trying to feed her slowly and mainly push electrolyte water.
I read somewhere on the internet that the most dangerous time is the first 4 days of feeding :confused:
I wish I could put the food and water in there with her, but she moves/flaps around trying to get up and would knock it over.
Overall, we’re cautiously hopeful!!!
But she’s so skinny though. I’ve told myself that if she doesn’t make it, at least she would know she’s cared for and wouldn’t die alone in the dark and cold.
We’re keeping her in our kids bathtub, the same one where she lived as chick this past spring ❤️ So I like to think she remembers being safe here.
If she does make it, I don’t know how long I’ll have to keep her in there. I guess until she jumps out, but that may be wishful thinking. We’ll just take it day by day!
I can’t thank you all enough for all the advice and support!! What a great community y’all ha e built here!!

View attachment 2893095
Day 2: She’s still with us!!! Someone asked about her name. It’s Blondie :)
I bought all the electrolytes yesterday, lol (Save-a-chick, Poultry Cell, and Nutri Drench). I gave her .5 ml each of the poultry cell & Nutra drench with a syringe yesterday. She was able to hold up her head on her own starting yesterday morning but was still slumped on her side.
Today she keeps trying to get up, but isn’t able to. She is able to change her position around though, so she’s not on her side as much. It makes me so nervous when she flaps bc I’m scared she’ll hurt herself and/or expend too much energy. But it must be a good sign :fl She’s definitely fighting!
I’ve been continuing to offer her water and mash, and this morning she ate 1/4 of an egg white. She’s also wanting to peck, so I put some grit in there with her.
So far, so good, but I’m worried about refeeding syndrome. I’m trying to feed her slowly and mainly push electrolyte water.
I read somewhere on the internet that the most dangerous time is the first 4 days of feeding :confused:
I wish I could put the food and water in there with her, but she moves/flaps around trying to get up and would knock it over.
Overall, we’re cautiously hopeful!!!
But she’s so skinny though. I’ve told myself that if she doesn’t make it, at least she would know she’s cared for and wouldn’t die alone in the dark and cold.
We’re keeping her in our kids bathtub, the same one where she lived as chick this past spring ❤️ So I like to think she remembers being safe here.
If she does make it, I don’t know how long I’ll have to keep her in there. I guess until she jumps out, but that may be wishful thinking. We’ll just take it day by day!
I can’t thank you all enough for all the advice and support!! What a great community y’all ha e built here!!
You could make something like this it might help her not help herself more

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211109-110815_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211109-110815_Google.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20211109-110806_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211109-110806_Google.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom