Chicken open mouth breathing

cliffoco

Chirping
Jul 2, 2015
I am getting worried about this young 4 month pullet, she is open mouth breathing and I can hear her kind of gasping. The odd time she does a full beak open gasp. See the video.

Keep in mind this is at midnight, she is very sleepy, although she has a little less energy she is only like this due to the time.

Crop seems fine, has never laid an egg yet - I just watched her poop albeit small.

Been about 3 days now.

Update :

I purchased some Neo Chlor and started her on that . I was thinking she was egg bound because nose and eyes are so clear, but she had a large poo this AM so I kind of ruled that out.

Other thing I am thinking of are worms but the stool is normal shape / colour.

Update: it’s been a week of heat in addition to the sickness, she was still bad this am and stopped eating her crumbs yesterday or the day before, if she eats it’s only a tiny amount. I have been feeding egg and oil yesterday and today and now she has lots of energy. She was coughing and sneezing very hard all morning so I upped the antibiotic and gave her a direct oral shot...I also purchased a dewormer for gape and gave her that today.

She appears to be doing a lot better only hours later, it could be the egg energy or something is finally taking. It will be cooler tonight and it gives the meds a chance to do something. I am hoping tomorrow she is doing a little better!

Eyes still clear
Nose is clear

Just coughing (so loud) and open mouth breathing / gasping (sometimes)

How is she doing. My ducks have what looks like the same thing.. 3 Of them have had it the last 2 never recoverd
Update: it’s been a week of heat in addition to the sickness, she was still bad this am and stopped eating her crumbs yesterday or the day before, if she eats it’s only a tiny amount. I have been feeding egg and oil yesterday and today and now she has lots of energy. She was coughing and sneezing very hard all morning so I upped the antibiotic and gave her a direct oral shot...I also purchased a dewormer for gape and gave her that today.

She appears to be doing a lot better only hours later, it could be the egg energy or something is finally taking. It will be cooler tonight and it gives the meds a chance to do something. I am hoping tomorrow she is doing a little better!

Eyes still clear
Nose is clear

Just coughing (so loud) and open mouth breathing / gasping (sometimes)

Back
Top Bottom