Chickens help during sad times

ssferret

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Knoxville, MD
I haven't been on here lately because I'd been taking care of my mother. Within the last few weeks we found out she had pancreatic cancer that had metastasized so I brought her to my house to take care of her while she was in Hospice. She finally passed away last week in her sleep. She lived a long life of 81 years but as we all know it's still very painful.

But actually I'm not here to talk about my mom but about my 6 month old pullets and how they made me smile.

Before all if this happened I could spend hours a day with my girls and my cockerel, Caspian. I obviously hadn't been able to see them much while mom was here. In fact my husband and sons had been taking over much of the chores.

After she passed I decided to sit out in the run for a while hoping to be cheered up. I was astounded with what happened. Every single one of the girls surrounded me, jumping on my legs and shoulders with many of them making crying sounds. Some of who didn't care much about being stroked were eating it up. I was flabbergasted with all their attention. I never knew they would have missed me so much especially the ones who became less likely to hang around me anymore. Their unconditional love raised my spirits and although I'm not recovered I'm on the road with them pushing me along the way.

My dog, Remy has been helping a lot too but most people know that dogs usually do. I doubt that those same people would think the same about chickens especially in the emotional sense. I admit it probably would have never crossed my mind either before my girls became a part of my life. I'm just here to reiterate that fact although I'm omly talking to those people who would never have questioned it.

I just want to thank all my girls by name:

Kotàra, Colonel (Sanders), (Ursa) Major, Grouchy, Fluffy, Chicken Little, Buddy, (Chicken) Nugget, Alfalfa, Ruffles, Boc Boc, and Nippy.

I love you all.

PS. My newest addition, Caspian, seems to still be unsure about me when it comes to getting near him. He totally trusts me with his girls though. I just want to tell him I absolutely love him too.

PPS. Kotàra, a complete mama's girl when she was younger, has been showing signs of jealousy. She been scaring off those of less status when the sit on or next to me. She tried to do that to the number 2 pullet before she thought better of it. She can also be passive aggressive, trying to block access to me. In other words she thinks she owns me.

I haven't been on here lately because I'd been taking care of my mother. Within the last few weeks we found out she had pancreatic cancer that had metastasized so I brought her to my house to take care of her while she was in Hospice. She finally passed away last week in her sleep. She lived a long life of 81 years but as we all know it's still very painful.

But actually I'm not here to talk about my mom but about my 6 month old pullets and how they made me smile.

Before all if this happened I could spend hours a day with my girls and my cockerel, Caspian. I obviously hadn't been able to see them much while mom was here. In fact my husband and sons had been taking over much of the chores.

After she passed I decided to sit out in the run for a while hoping to be cheered up. I was astounded with what happened. Every single one of the girls surrounded me, jumping on my legs and shoulders with many of them making crying sounds. Some of who didn't care much about being stroked were eating it up. I was flabbergasted with all their attention. I never knew they would have missed me so much especially the ones who became less likely to hang around me anymore. Their unconditional love raised my spirits and although I'm not recovered I'm on the road with them pushing me along the way.

My dog, Remy has been helping a lot too but most people know that dogs usually do. I doubt that those same people would think the same about chickens especially in the emotional sense. I admit it probably would have never crossed my mind either before my girls became a part of my life. I'm just here to reiterate that fact although I'm omly talking to those people who would never have questioned it.

I just want to thank all my girls by name:

Kotàra, Colonel (Sanders), (Ursa) Major, Grouchy, Fluffy, Chicken Little, Buddy, (Chicken) Nugget, Alfalfa, Ruffles, Boc Boc, and Nippy.

I love you all.

PS. My newest addition, Caspian, seems to still be unsure about me when it comes to getting near him. He totally trusts me with his girls though. I just want to tell him I absolutely love him too.

PPS. Kotàra, a complete mama's girl when she was younger, has been showing signs of jealousy. She been scaring off those of less status when the sit on or next to me. She tried to do that to the number 2 pullet before she thought better of it. She can also be passive aggressive, trying to block access to me. In other words she thinks she owns me.
They are amazing animals and I believe can sense our emotions. You are lucky to have them in your life.

My deepest sympathy for your loss. :hugs :hugs

Animals always continue to astound me at how they can tell we are feeling down and their unconditional love will bring us up. I am so sorry about your mom, it sure sounds like she raised an amazing person! I hope your flock continues to cluck and listen to your stories. And especially, that they continue to make you smile.

Back
Top Bottom