Chickens keep going into neighbor's yard

You can get deer fencing in 100’ rolls for about $1 a ft. For 7’ high. It’s vinyl, black and comes in various heights. You can zip tie to trees or use those metal stakes . I got it so that I could keep them out of my garden. I use it to keep deer-off my fruit trees. It’s strong and “invisible” i put it up myself. Go in line…I think it was deer fence.com…it’s been 10 years.
Uw, can't wait to show this to hubby. Wish I knew before purchasing that short Premiere fencing for $240+. Still need the battery to electrify it, that will be an additional $300 or so.

We were really happy with the electro-net fencing we got from Kencove. We beat that stuff up and it still looks great. We love that we can move it relatively easily. We don't even electrify it right now, and they still respect it (for the most part). I believe it is the 4ft that kept them from flying out. The 3 ft? Not so much. Also, if we rotate often they don't want to fly out, but I would imagine that behavior may have more to do with breed.

Our land is adjoining a huge hunting, land preserve, so no fence isn't an option for us. It's all we have ever done, so it feels natural. There is always a couple warm days in the early winter that they want to leave the run, but we have taken the fence down. We'll let them fully free range for those days, but we lose at least one every year during that time, like clockwork. We are building a larger second run to fix that problem.

Kencove has amazing customer service, and you can call them and they can walk you through everything. It is hard for our kids to get over the 48", but I'm sure that problem could be solved with some ingenuity.

Last edited:
Excellent advice from Isadora! There are a lot of inexpensive alternatives to protect the flock and minimize bird flu exposure for the sake of being able to say my flock is free range. That’d be like expecting a child to not cross the road especially if they are tempted by a playground on the other side. We are the responsible adults committing to care for our children or feathered friends wild or domestic.
Portable or temporary run extensions do not need to be complicated or expensive. I use the plain fiberglass rods from livestock containment with plastic deer netting woven over them and leave a bit on the ground to set decorative pots, rocks, or tent stakes to keep out casual intruders. Leaving this netting loose or not too taught discourages climbing critters, too. I leave a few inches on the top to flutter and the wild birds will not perch on this floppy stuff. Hoop house construction is inexpensive with bird netting overhead to keep the flock and wild birds from mingling with my flock. There’s lots of videos, photos and written designs and such to help you do your best in your commitment to the flock.
You are wise to post and search here on BYC!
Best to you and your endeavors!
From SW New Mexico…

My chickens keep wandering into my neighbor's yard even though they have 5 acres to free-range on. My run is pretty small and so I don't like to leave them in there all the time and they are so much happier free-ranging but I really don't want them wandering into my neighbor's yard. Does anyone have any tips to keep them more contained that doesn't involve locking them in?
Maybe the neighbor is giving them treats! Been known to happen.

I agree with @Isadora , if you have that much property expand their run or add on a chicken yard to keep them on your property. My neighbor behind me let's her chickens go wherever, last year in the fall her littles (about 8 weeks old) went through my fence and ate all the seedlings in my garden bed for my winter harvest, I was pissed. I've since wrapped the bottom of my fence in HWC and we will be putting up a secondary fence on the edge of our property. Point being I shouldn't have to do all these things to manage someone else's critters. I don't know how your neighbors feel about it, but if they're anything like the lady at the end of my road they'll get sick of all the poop on their porch and holes dug in their yard, and do something about it.

If the run is too small that it would not be humane to keep them in there 24/7, it needs to be expanded. Period.
If it's not reasonable to put fencing because of how the property lines work, I'm not sure you have a lot for options. As someone else already mentioned, you could try to figure out what it is about the neighbor's place that has them going over there, but even if you put those things on your property it's no guarantee your chickens are going to stay. I'm glad you're asking about this though, as it is 100% your responsibility to keep your animals off your neighbors property.
I had a problem with chickens going into the woods behind their hen house and a couple of them got grabbed by predators a couple years ago. I put fencing just along that portion behind their coop and they don't go in the woods over there anymore, even though there are a lot of other entry points. Maybe fencing in a few strategic places would be enough to deter them.
I agree! Temporary movable fencing is not expensive.

My chickens keep wandering into my neighbor's yard even though they have 5 acres to free-range on. My run is pretty small and so I don't like to leave them in there all the time and they are so much happier free-ranging but I really don't want them wandering into my neighbor's yard. Does anyone have any tips to keep them more contained that doesn't involve locking them in?
Simply keep your chickens locked up until 3 or 4 hours before dark. Then let them out. They will be able to get all they need in that time and will be back in their coops at dusk. They will not go far from the coops in that amount of time.

I use the green plastic roll fencing and T posts.

I have mounding similar to the divider between you and your neighbor and my chickens love to explore it. Sometimes they just like being higher, kinda like roosting. Many chickens are just curious and others like to roam. Mine have open pasture and woods yet still end up on the porch where there’s never any food (which is a big motivator). So fencing is a pretty good idea.

Back
Top Bottom