Pics

Jeanna Marie

Songster
9 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Hayden, Alabama
Hi all...I am new to this forum and kind of new to raising chicks. I am getting 6 Buff Orpington chicks this week. I have read many threads/posts on chick care but was hoping that you guys would be kind enough to help me with some pointers that will give my chicks the best chance at growing into beautiful healthy chickens.

welcome!!! from Washington
welcome-byc.gif

Hi all...I am new to this forum and kind of new to raising chicks. I am getting 6 Buff Orpington chicks this week. I have read many threads/posts on chick care but was hoping that you guys would be kind enough to help me with some pointers that will give my chicks the best chance at growing into beautiful healthy chickens.
From one newbie to another, we have found the red light is much better than white for keeping them calm and content. I have also found that the plastic tub brooders are great when they are little but they quickly outgrow. I have already added another tub brooder and connected them together to give them more space (great idea from this forum!) but they are 3 weeks and already outgrowing this! In hindsight, it would have been better to build a much larger brooder so I am not constantly trying to figure out the next option.

We got 9 chicks assuming we might lose a couple and all 9 are very healthy and happy chicks, although getting too big for their digs!
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the great advice anna...I have considered using a tub for brooding but also thought they would quickly out grow it. Im not sure what I'm going to do as my indoor space is quite limited and spring hasn't really sprung here yet so outside would be an absolute last resort.

Thanks for the great advice anna...I have considered using a tub for brooding but also thought they would quickly out grow it. Im not sure what I'm going to do as my indoor space is quite limited and spring hasn't really sprung here yet so outside would be an absolute last resort.
I think the plastic tub will work great for the first 2 weeks and then move to a X large wire dog (great ideas on the brooder thread) crate. That way you can keep them in a small room but there is more room for them to grow and perch on roosts. I think our next step is to move them into a round wire kennel we got for our puppy and I will just have to figure out how to cover the top so they don't fly out. Here is a picture of what I will be using. We have a large bathroom where we are keeping them but this is going to be challenging for other reasons and my DH doesn't want us to spend even more money on a dog crate.

pPETS-5571363_alternate1_r200.jpg

Back
Top Bottom