Chinese or Tuften Roman....Which is better?

Colly1470

Songster
Feb 15, 2017
Wilton, Maine
I found someone nearby who has chinese and tufted roman hatching eggs. I just want a pair of geese as pets, and can't decide which breed to get. I like the appearance of both, and it sounds like both can be good pets.... So I just want some opinions.

Temperament is obviously priority, since they'll be pets....but I know a lot of that just has to do with how they're raised.

If these will be your first geese I recommend Romans. Chinese are nice and really good layers but are about the noisiest geese on the planet. I'm afraid if you get Chinese to start with you'll never want geese again lol.

That noisy, huh? Lol. They will be my first geese.

They never shut up. Everything will set them off. Coyote, Hawk, Squirrel, Neighbor, Mailman, Kid on bike, Leaves blowing, Their own shadow. Like Pyxis stated, they are very high strung geese. I'd never recommend them for first timers unless you want lots of eggs and have no neighbors for miles. And don't mind the noise of course.

Chinese geese are very noisy, but we love our pair. I joke that the unknowing neighbors down the road probably think we have a Jurassic Park thing going with the way our gander alerts on everything. They are our first geese ( a gift from a friend that wanted to get rid of them) and we are loving the egg production! In Fact, we we have some in the incubator to expand our flock. The male is the noisy one!

Part of me loves the idea of the noise (some revenge for my obnoxiously loud neighbors who I don't like, haha). But from the sounds of it, the romans are probably a better fit.

Back
Top Bottom