Cinnamon Queen Question

southeast

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2017
I recently purchased 25 cinnamon queen chicks and 2 cinnamon queen roosters, with the intention of raising straight cinnamon queens. They are the real deal, SLW's x RIR's. My question, (may be a dumb one) will CQ's bred to CQ's produce CQ's? Or is there some weird genetic deal with hybrids that will produce offspring different from the parents? Thanks for any info!

No - the sex linking does not carry to the second generation and the chicks from a CQ to CQ mating are simply mixed breed chicks who must be sexed like non sex linked chicks (vent sexing and/or developmental milestones). To "breed" CQ you need to do the same as the source you got your chicks from - use the aporpriate parent breeds

Curious where you got the info that the "real deal" cinnamon queens are SLW X RIRs?
I know a couple hatcheries that sell CQs and theirs are RIR rooster over Rhode island white hens.
RIR X SLW would produce rose comb offspring and I've never seen that with CQs.
Not that it wouldn't work as a sex link or that that wouldn't make a good cross but just never heard of it before.

I've read, and been told that slw x rir are CQ's. Maybe I'm wrong...not an expert on chicken lineages...
All I know is that they lay tons of brown eggs...don't really care if they're not "true" CQ's.

I've read, and been told that slw x rir are CQ's. Maybe I'm wrong...not an expert on chicken lineages...
All I know is that they lay tons of brown eggs...don't really care if they're not "true" CQ's.

Back
Top Bottom