Clean duck water and free food. Aquaponics Duckaponics

Oh there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that duckaponics will work, the question is is the food raised in this unbuffered system safe for human consumption?

Let's get some opinions.....
@debs flock @jtn42248 @needlessjunk@pattyhen @casportpony @WVduckchick@miss lydia

Oh there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that duckaponics will work, the question is is the food raised in this unbuffered system safe for human consumption?

That's a good d question. I'd think as long as you wash the food well it'd be OK. I don't think that pathogens can pass through the root system and into the leaves/fruit.

Nicely done. I have tried a few methods but so far nothing that really fits our needs. Your idea looks to be what we need.
Duckaponics is great as it supplies the nutrients for the plants and the joy of watching them be themselves which provides us with peaceful entertainment.
Thank you.

I wouldn't eat anything that I grew in a filtered system. I do see it as a way to augment the fresh greens made available to the ducks / geese or any other animal in the area. But I think the high level of contact between plants and fecal water is a bit much for human consumption. I'm probably dead wrong. But my gut tells me - Thanks, but no thanks.

Just me though.

PS - disclaimer. I am not a scientist. I am not a nutritionist. I am not a doctor. I am not a horticulturalist. But I do have a duck and goose pond and can tell you the amount of poop collected in my swirly filter is outrageously gross. Just sayin'.
yippiechickie.gif

Spinach is known to take up bad stuff from the soil and put it in the plants for us to consume. I would think that it isn't the only plant that does it. You can actually use spinach to help clean certain types of contaminated soil. It takes up the contaminants then you properly dispose of the spinach.

Last edited:
I have a face book group site dedicated to the ducks use in agriculture there are 2 members running a duckponics system and one member doing a build now. You are welcome to join if you like, It is for discussion of the building and matience of these systems . Not for the arguments about e coli. Every person if free to make their own choices on weather they eat of feed their produce to flock.

Could I see the plans or how you set this up? I am new to this but absolutely love this design!! I dont know where to start with it though! 😀

Back
Top Bottom