Cocci again?

HelveticaTheBold

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2018
Great Southern, Western Australia
Hi All,

Vorwerx chicks are approximately 20 weeks. They're in a run with a number of other chickens. When they were about 12 weeks we had cocci go though all the chicks - they were in a separate run then. The ones that got sick died.

They have been in the main run for about 4 weeks with no incidence. They haven't had any issues with being bullied and are still eating and drinking but they have gone into the classic cocci decline of dropping wings, looking sleepy and then dying. They are the only breed that seem to be affected. We've lost 3 out of 7 so far and the others don't look great.

I'm overseas at the moment with my inlaws watching the chilckens so not much I can do from here.

Thanks, Hel

Lice can be brought in from other chickens introduced to your existing flock or by wild birds.
It doesnt take lice long to multiply and spread through your flock. Coops will have to be completely cleaned out and sprayed with an insecticide. Your chickens will need to be treated as well. I'm sure the vet told your inlaws what to do.
Do you know specifically what respiratory disease it is? Treatments vary with the type of disease. What did the vet prescribe?

Did you try treat for the cocci? Did you get a definite diagnosis or are you just assuming that is what it was?
Cocci and coccidiosis are not the same thing - just in case you mean coccidiosis?
Any bloody stools? If it is coccidioisis, they need treatment as soon as possible. 24 hrs can kill a chick with coccidiosis. You need corid (or the alternative where you live) started straight away to save any chickens with coccidiosis.
I have no information on Cocci, but I know others here do.

Ah I DID mean coccidiosis. People talk about coccivet so I assumed it was the same thing. In laws haven’t mentioned bloody stools but the coop is large. I’ll ask them to check now they’ve been relocated to the hospital run. I’ll see if they can get some corid. It’s a country town (that we had just moved to) so I’m not sure what the options are. If they had lived through other chicks in their much smaller run getting coccidiosis without getting it I assumed they would now be immune- I guess this isn’t the case?

I am so sorry to hear this! Can the in-laws send you any pictures to post? Did you get them all from the same place/breeder?

I’ve asked for a picture. All my chickens are from different breeders but these chicks are from the same breeder. It’s been his birds in particular that have ended up getting sick in retrospect.

Did you try treat for the cocci? Did you get a definite diagnosis or are you just assuming that is what it was?
Cocci and coccidiosis are not the same thing - just in case you mean coccidiosis?
Any bloody stools? If it is coccidioisis, they need treatment as soon as possible. 24 hrs can kill a chick with coccidiosis. You need corid (or the alternative where you live) started straight away to save any chickens with coccidiosis.
I have no information on Cocci, but I know others here do.

Back
Top Bottom