Coccidiosis advice

SBmember

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2016
Looking for advice. Two of my 7 3 week old chicks seem to be ruffled and lethargic, eyes slightly closed at all times, still eating, drinking, but no bloddy stools. I know that for a moderate Coccidiosis outbreak it is 1 teaspoon I put it in a gallon of room temperature water and they are now all drinking it. Did I take the right action? They all got very quiet and have been drinking it up but then I had sneezes(?) I think I made the water too deep and that may have been the problem so I made it a lot more shallow and the sneezes are about non existant now and they seem to be going their seperate ways, playing and hiding under the heat plate. When it was deeper one of them, as they drank, had slimy drool after drinking!?!? Is this just the way corid water is because I had it too deep? Not sure if this is all related or not, i created a secondary post about this one hen
( //www.backyardchickens.com/threads/liquid-mucous-oral.1189537/)
All of this just started today for one and yesterday for the other as I play woth them every noght so they will get used to me. I hope I'm not jumping the gun or coming into this too late.

Since they are showing symptoms of Cocci I would go ahead and treat with the 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, and make a new batch of this Corid /water mixture daily and continue it for 5 to 7 days straight.
Corid is a "medicine" like antibiotics...so it will not hurt them one bit AND it is nearly impossible to "over dose" them but it is very possible to under dose them.

I'm not sure about slimy drool....I will check out the other thread your linked now.

What is the temp in your brooder...
Having a brooder TOO hot/warm can cause these symptoms too.
Can you post a picture of your set up?

Right now it is 73° but they have a heat plate to go under. Here are some old photos, we have since switched to a nipple waterer and added a container for chick grit.

Attachments

• 20170711_172923.jpg
    20170711_172923.jpg
    589.2 KB · Views: 6
One last question, just to make absolutely sure, since I have started them on the Corid this morning and everyone seems fine now, should I continue on with the 5 day treatment? As was said, if it is like an antibiotic, if they are okay (no coccidiosis) should the 4 days left continue?

Hi SBMember

Would like to suggest please in using 2/3 drops of oil of oregano in approx 1 tabsp veg oil and nutridrench. Also ramping up the good stuff with herbs including oregano.

This maybe just a fluke or the hens just got over it themselves, but 2 ex-bat hens had definite signs of cocci and I used the above 2 x a day for a couple of days and one pulled through completely and the 2nd is recoverying slowly but surely. I give all the chickens some porridge with mixed dried herbs and linseed, and mite powder each afternoon to try and keep them as healthy as possible.

All the best to you and your little ones.

Back
Top Bottom