Coccidiosis

Flockking

Songster
Feb 25, 2021
One of the main issues with getting new birds are the risk of bringing home diseases
Well lately I got a new flock of 11young birds
4 turned out to be males and one of them (my favorite 🥺) seems to have coccidiosis, at least I think he does
He was 💯 when we got them but started acting out 3 days after arriving

Came out one morning to blood everywhere and when I say blood,there wasn't even poo in the dropping
It was all blood like he had internal bleeding also his bright comb turned pale and became inactive

This was my first time experiencing this in my years of poultry keeping so I fell to the internet which said aside amprolium they're other organic treatments which included aloe vera

As someone who grows them in number I decided to use it
Feeding him a syringe filled extract of the juice where as still mixing in his water,now 2 days into treatment he has perked up and I no longer see blood at all in his poo though his appetite isn't restored and still drop wet poos

My question is are we safe?
Did the aloe remedy work?
Is he on his way to recovery or is something terrible still starring up inside him, cus I wouldn't want to loose him

If you are serious about keeping this chicken, I'd treat him with CORID. Correct dose below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coccidiosis-in-my-chickens.1583601/post-26923032

Also you can take a sample of the bird's poo to the vet and have them do a fecal float and they can tell you what microorganisms they see and how to treat them.

After treatment with CORID you can feed a human B Complex vitamin smashed up in water for about a month to replenish the B vitamins inhibited by the CORID. You can't overdose, the birds will excrete any B vitamin they don't use.

4 turned out to be males and one of them (my favorite 🥺) seems to have coccidiosis, at least I think he does
He was 💯 when we got them but started acting out 3 days after arriving

Came out one morning to blood everywhere and when I say blood,there wasn't even poo in the dropping
It was all blood like he had internal bleeding also his bright comb turned pale and became inactive
Photos of him and his poop?

I agree, I'd treat with Corid.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Yes, that's amprolium. Tomorrow may be too late, there is no way to know. I would stop the aloe water when you get the amprolium, the more things you put in the water the more likely to put him off drinking at all. Since he is so sick I would also give him an oral dose of the amprolium as well, once a day for up to three days. It's very safe. Dosing for the oral dose is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

Get him started on the Corid right away. The longer you wait the more likely that he won't recover. Corid is very safe and will do no harm even if it's something else. Coccidiosis kills, and sometimes very quickly. In addition to the medicated water (which should be the only water he has access to) I would also give him an oral dose once a day, instructions for that are here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

I'm out right now but this is a photo of him a couple days after arriving

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230725-094332.png
    Screenshot_20230725-094332.png
    851.2 KB · Views: 6
This was him yesterday though the weather was very cold
Photos of him and his poop?

I agree, I'd treat with Corid.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Attachments

• IMG_20230724_163024_145.jpg
    IMG_20230724_163024_145.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230724_163006_154.jpg
    IMG_20230724_163006_154.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The vets in my area don't see poultrys
Except farm managers
If you are serious about keeping this chicken, I'd treat him with CORID. Correct dose below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coccidiosis-in-my-chickens.1583601/post-26923032

Also you can take a sample of the bird's poo to the vet and have them do a fecal float and they can tell you what microorganisms they see and how to treat them.

After treatment with CORID you can feed a human B Complex vitamin smashed up in water for about a month to replenish the B vitamins inhibited by the CORID. You can't overdose, the birds will excrete any B vitamin they don't use.
And they don't do vet practices but advice on medication

This is him today

Attachments

• IMG_20230725_113933_341.jpg
    IMG_20230725_113933_341.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230725_114038_436.jpg
    IMG_20230725_114038_436.jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom