Cochin Bantams

user213590

Songster
9 Years
May 17, 2013
Okay, I realize there is no real money in Cochin Bantams around where I live for sure. And likewise there is no real money in Phoenix Bantams and Ohikis around where I live. I have been able to sell the. At swap meets but at greatly reduced prices from what I was willing to pay.

Because I love the Cochin Bantam and understand it takes more than one of their eggs for an omlet, I have been working on creating Cochin Bantam Marans and Jubilees. I do well with the Marans because they themselves do not have clean feet and legs.

BUT the Jubilees I can not get clean feet and legs. I love the puffiness and temperment of the Cochin Bantams and the Mahogany beauty of the Jubilees. I have gotten the rich Mahogany and even with the black and white tipping on the feathers but I just can not get clean feet and legs. I can not even get people interested in buying my Jubilee colored Cochin Bantams. They say it does not exist AND so I show them mine.

Every Once in a while I get someone that says they do not exist and refuse to look at mine. Ok it is their decision.

And yes before anyone asks I do get just as many roos as girls. And the roos are difficult to sell or even give away. Everyone wants the girls. I just am trying to figure what bloodline I could introduce into my cochins with clean legs and feet. I know, I know, there is no money in them. I am also working with getting the higest contrast to my Mille Fleur.

So here I am asking others what I can possibly introduce to the Bloodline of my Cochin Bantam Jubilee to get clean legs and feet.

I am a little confused. Are you breeding them to the cochin bantam standard or is this a project to create something else? Because cochin bantams are supposed to have heavily feathered legs.

Cochin Bantam
Pro
Small size
Puffy
Friendly
Adorably puffy small and sweet

Con
Feathers on legs and feet

Jubilee Orpington
Pro
Color pattern
Clean legs & feet!

Con
Size

Pairing small friendly Cochin Bantam with large Jubilee Orpingtons.

Trying to get clean legs and feet.
Ending up with beautifully feathered legs and feet so they end up being a new but non approved cochin bantam not exactly what I wanted to end up with and no one wants tge roos but everyone wants the girls. A beautiful mistake.

Back
Top Bottom