Cochin Thread!!!

Ok, it has been a few days, but someone asked me to post pics of my mottled cochins and the leakage they are showing. So I finally got a few pics. I did find two out of my seven who don't have any leakage. So I have one breeding pair at this point. I am really pleased with the type these babies are showing at just 16 weeks ( they hatched the second week of Sept). I also have a couple of splash girls and the blue roo is blue/mottled split.

I know the breeder works with several colors including Millie Fluer and silver laced. So I don't know if some unplanned crosses made it into a breeding pen or what. I hadn't planed on buying splash, but the breeder substituted with eggs that color when their blacks quit laying unexpectedly.

My blue mottled girl has the best type. Funny though her down was such a dark blue she looked almost black and she had no yellow markings like you usually see on mottled chicks. She has red feathers in her hackles like a red brown, you can see the them just below her wattles in this picture. I also noticed today that she also had some feathers that show silver lacing, instead of mottling. I am beginning to wonder how many varieties/ patterns she is carrying genes for.

My splash girls both have extra colors. Dotty is so cute and has a nice splash coloring, but also has red in her hackles and some feathers through her body with red chevrons.
The other splash girl has had a red patch on her head since the day she hatched. It was in her down as well as her feathers. I don't know what to make of it genetically. Sorry this pic is so blurry, but it shows the spot.

Little Boy Blue was the runt of the hatch and was colored like a blue mottled chick when hatched with lots of yellow down. He is split for mottled, but shows no mottling. He has red leakage in his hackles.

Prince Charming was my favorite roo from this hatch, but he has a few red hackles just like Blue Boy, but they didn't show in this picture.

But in looking closely the last couple of days I did discover I have a breeding pair out of this batch. Oreo who was the ultra slow feathering roo I have been waiting to see how he would turn out. Well, he is turning into quite a handsome guy. His head is looking a bit like a porcupine, as he is still getting in hackle feathers, but none of them show any red and he is finally starting to show a nice shape. The pullet I can put with him is Pretty, she has been one of my favorites all along and luckily she has no leakage either.

I just love how Oreo's butt looks like a checker board.
gig.gif
Aren't they cute together.

BlackPanther....Go back a few pages, or visit my personal page and maybe there is a link. I asked the same question and people answered me, along with pictures to show. It was probably around a week or.two ago when I asked

Back
Top Bottom