Cochin Thread!!!

lavender and self blue are the same thing. lavender is the name of the gene, but the name of the variety of cochin is 'self blue'...
it's a recessive gene that requires both parents to carry, which causes a uniform dilution of black resulting in a solid light grey colored bird. yours are self blue/lavender. here in the US, the APA has stated that it will not recognize the name Lavender, since they already have the same color listed as Self Blue. In other countries the corresponding breed organizations refer to it as Lavender. so it would depend on your local poultry association/breed organization's choice of wording. in South Africa, it may well be referred to as Lavender. I don't know since i haven't researched that myself. (Lavender would be my choice of wording, because the word "blue" used in 2 different names can get confusing for some, but I'm only 1 person with an opinion.)

blue is a dominant gene that also dilutes black, but only requires only 1 parent to carry it. a single copy of the gene results in a dark grey bird with darker lacing. 2 copies of the gene results in a splash, which is a light grey/white bird with some darker markings here and there.
Thank you so much for the reply. Self blue it is
smile.png

County Boy the lemon blue project on top is pretty in my book. The few pictures I can see all have very pretty colors. Very nice eye candy. I like your big boy with the two colors(orance and black?)
It looks like the big LF are not too old yet.
I am really not able to give too much critique on these birds.
I would ask the question. What are my goals. What do I want the birds for. etc. (show, pet, eye candy, etc..)
Bruce is brown red. He and the hens aren't a year old yet. I'll get better pics later.

I have 5 cockerels that are really causing some problems. I put them in a big pen together today to dust and run and I thought two were going to kill each other. I though they would work it out but didnt. I eventually removed what I thought was the perp only to find a half hour later there was another one being picked on.
barnie.gif
Whats a person to do Am I going to have to put each in a seperate cage? I still wanted to keep them a bit longer.
Then one of my blues had a hold of my lil bantam wyandotte roo and chased him into the woods. poor thing. I am going crazy over here!
hmm.png
Any advice? Thanks

That is chickens for you. You won't change the nature of chickens. It usually works itself out without permanent damage but not always. I do cage males separately when they get to the point you are describing. . I often leave the one male with hens and cage the rest of the males separately.

Quote: I agree, roosts seem to help. all my extra roos go in the 'bachelor pad' pen. it's only 8x8 with 2 lengthwise roosts. and cochins aren't agressive enough I think, to do serious damage. i've got some baby roos that seem to spar every morning for about an hour then they go about their business, eating and dust bathing. now and then they go at it again but no blood is being shed. it actually helps if you have more than 2 or 3, since then there's more than 1 or 2 for the 'dominant' guy to pick on. if anything i tend to over crowd the roo pen. normally i wouldn't keep more than 5 or 6 LF in one that size, but with the bachelors i'll go up to 10 or so. at least until it comes time to thin them and send some to swap or freezer camp.

This is my 15 week old Blue Cochin Bantam. He crowed at me this week end. I had him on the "what gender is my chicken" thread and all the replys are shocked it crowed. I was going to find him a new home immediately since I can't have roosters, but now I think I will hold onto him a bit longer. A girl can always hope.

A big huge THANK YOU to all of you who advised me to wait it out. Little Miss Muffet laid her first egg yesterday. It's adorable! She has been trying for a week.

Thank You for the well needed advice JosieChick and BlackCochin Bantams and ki4got. On my list today will be to add roosting branches to their pen. :):)
....and working on more cages ,,,,,sigh,,,,,, lol
Brenshens :yiipchick WOOT! silly bird.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom