Concerned About the Time Change

Lady J

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2012
Arkansas
I have begun stressing over the time change this fall.
I don't get home from work until 6 p.m., sometimes 7 p.m., if there
has been an accident. It's fine right now because it is still daylight.

What about when the time changes and it starts getting dark at 5 p.m.?
I have started worrying about coons launching an attack on my chickies
before I can get home from work to lock them up.

Thoughts/concerns/ideas out there?

A Safe run and coop is the key, it was my concern about getting dark when I get home, since thats the time I spend with my chickens aside from mornings before work. With the run being safe they can get in and out to the coop to tuck themselves in at night. Which help a lot, I used to close and lock the pop door but with safe run, it’s not necessary.

I agree. My chickie house is Ft. Knox, but their enclosure is not safe right now. It is fully fenced and sits on a concrete pad, but the coons are entering at will by climbing in through some gaps up high that are not easy fixes.

The whole premise of free range chickens is that a homesteader is around at all times HOPEFULLY with a pack of cur dogs at his or her side plus a shotgun to repel any attack on their chickens. If the risks outweighs the gains then confine your birds to their coop or else a secure run and leave them there until the time changes back. I can assure you that chickens can't tell time or even read a calendar or the FARMERS ALMANAC.

Coons are getting into their "secure" run right now. The fix is not going to be easy due to the open rafter configuration of the ceiling. Thanks for the words of advice.

Another good reason to have more than the bare minimum of space in the coop ... sometimes "stuff" happens ... and they need to be cooped up until problems are solved ...

If a tree fell on the run ... or a moose ran through it ... or a bear tore it apart ... good to have a plan "B", or even a "C" too!

I have the same concerns. I just put up an electric fence but I still worry about them jumping on top of the enclosure from the fence. It's about 3 feet apart. I just cut back all the heavy branches but I still think they can possibly jump from the trees to the fence to the top. The top is covered with heavy duty netting but it still bothers me. I'm confident from the ground to the top, especially with the electric fence. While the weather is decent I am considering taking a later lunch and leaving a dog outside for a couple hours as a deterrent. I'm also considering rolling hardwood cloth with sharp edges up on the outer edge of top, so if they jump it will hurt and hopefully enough for them to fall.

Show pictures of where raccoons are getting in. They are not good jumpers but can do 24" in a pinch. Hotwire is something I would try as part of mix using a low output fence charger. Do you have a game camera? You can use it to record how the are getting in so you can target your efforts?

I like the camera idea. Do you guys have a suggestion of model or place of purchase that you like for game camera? I may have to see what is bothering my coop. I have had to restaple my bottom hatch door of coop several times. I see a hole but nothing is getting in that I can tell. Maybe the predator lights are scaring it off in time. I want to redo or reinforce with 19 gauge 1/2 inch hardware cloth as it currently is 1/2 inch galvanized chick wire. Any thoughts or recommendations?

To address the coon issue point of entry. I once went to my dogs groomer and found a coon in broad daylight trying to find a way into the dumpster in full view. I took pics for the owner. She said we know he goes out there for the pizza boxes and leftovers. He scaled all sides including climbing over top looking for an entry point. The claws are strong and coons are very deft at climbing and pulling themselves up similar to rock climbers. Never saw jumping. In the news coons have scaled two story buildings requiring rescue from wildlife organizations in the city. Very strong climbers when food motivated.

I like the camera idea. Do you guys have a suggestion of model or place of purchase that you like for game camera? I may have to see what is bothering my coop. I have had to restaple my bottom hatch door of coop several times. I see a hole but nothing is getting in that I can tell. Maybe the predator lights are scaring it off in time. I want to redo or reinforce with 19 gauge 1/2 inch hardware cloth as it currently is 1/2 inch galvanized chick wire. Any thoughts or recommendations?

To address the coon issue point of entry. I once went to my dogs groomer and found a coon in broad daylight trying to find a way into the dumpster in full view. I took pics for the owner. She said we know he goes out there for the pizza boxes and leftovers. He scaled all sides including climbing over top looking for an entry point. The claws are strong and coons are very deft at climbing and pulling themselves up similar to rock climbers. Never saw jumping. In the news coons have scaled two story buildings requiring rescue from wildlife organizations in the city. Very strong climbers when food motivated.
I will recommend against the one below. I have two and neither reliable after 1 year of use. Will purchase a better model shortly.
20180815_060507.jpg

Back
Top Bottom