Coop and Run for Turkey and Chicken

I raised turkey.... but only once. :rolleyes:

I only bought 2, which was the first problem, since with only 2 poults and no mom they didn't know how to eat. We had to peck at their feed to get them to eat, about EVERY HOUR for days! :barnie

I kept them in their own area for the summer... when I moved them to the pen next to the chickens, the turkeys, though now huge, wanted to snuggle up against the chickens, and the rooster was very anti-Turkey. So I had to keep them apart.

I did not keep them through the winter... but if I had done that, they would have needed separate housing.

I think I would be ok with keeping them in a communal coop with geese, or large ducks..... but they are MONSTERS compared to chickens. It would be so easy for accidental injuries.

I raised turkey.... but only once. :rolleyes:

I only bought 2, which was the first problem, since with only 2 poults and no mom they didn't know how to eat. We had to peck at their feed to get them to eat, about EVERY HOUR for days! :barnie

I kept them in their own area for the summer... when I moved them to the pen next to the chickens, the turkeys, though now huge, wanted to snuggle up against the chickens, and the rooster was very anti-Turkey. So I had to keep them apart.

I did not keep them through the winter... but if I had done that, they would have needed separate housing.

I think I would be ok with keeping them in a communal coop with geese, or large ducks..... but they are MONSTERS compared to chickens. It would be so easy for accidental injuries.
Even with only hens? I know they’re tall but are they super heavy too? I’d hate for one to jump off the roost and crush a chicken

Years ago we ordered free-range, organic, pasture-raised, college-educated (okay that last one was a joke but given the price we paid, maybe not) turkey. Honestly, I couldn't taste any difference from our normal fresh turkey. Dp has voiced wanting to raise our own holiday turkey, but since they need so much room, is home raising turkey worth it?
I just like to watch the different kind of birds and have the occasional different egg, I’d only be keeping the hens for pets basically.

Turkeys will harass chickens, and sometimes kill them. I would not add them. They are best kept in their own area. I have seen turkey fights go on for days. They are relentless when something bothers them, and will not stop until they think it's resolved. Hens can be worse than toms at chasing other poultry.

The turkey hens are crazy huge compared to chickens.
Turkeys will harass chickens, and sometimes kill them. I would not add them. They are best kept in their own area. I have seen turkey fights go on for days. They are relentless when something bothers them, and will not stop until they think it's resolved. Hens can be worse than toms at chasing other poultry.
Fair enough can’t afford to lose the chickens, if I get them I’ll free range them. Other than that no deal. Thanks for the info

We have wild turkeys around here. We also have predators like coyotes and hawks. Certain times of the year we see pretty good-sized flocks of adult turkeys with their poults, sometimes as many as 20. But as the season wears on it's obvious that their numbers dwindle due to predation until, when hunting season rolls around, the hunters really have to search for them. If you free range, you may have to contend with all that. Will your turkeys stay close enough to home that you won't have to worry about predators... or hunters?

Fair enough can’t afford to lose the chickens, if I get them I’ll free range them. Other than that no deal. Thanks for the info
I free range my turkeys in the same area as the other poultry. Some days everything is fine, other days I gotta round up the turkeys. I'm glad I'm able to.

It shouldn't be too difficult to make an area for turkeys to get out of the elements and to give them a run if you really want to try some. They are interesting curious birds. They are very winter hardy so housing doesn't need to be elaborate.

Back
Top Bottom