Coop Cam

Pics

lissalischicks

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 31, 2016
Los Angeles, California
I have been on this site for days trying to get some information on coop cams but really didn't find what I needed (or maybe was just looking in the wrong place.)

I am looking to install a couple cameras to watch my chickens when I am not at home or just to see what they are up to. I know many people do have coop cams but was wondering which ones they use. I am hoping for something inexpensive or reasonable, wireless and battery operated if possible. Also, if I can stream it on the phone it would be even better!

Can I get some suggestions or brands and prices or what you guys use? I did find some suggestions but they were quite pricey and I have not made the decision to pay that much money yet.

As always thanks in advance.

Last edited:
We don't have foxes in our area but we have coyotes. My neighbors saw them jumping into people's backyards so I am worried about them... plus we now have a very curious cat that keeps coming around. Honestly, I really want to just watch them sometimes. I get curious at work.

Thanks for the info trish! I will look those cameras up and if anyone else has any other brands let me know!!!

I have several different cameras, the one inside the coop is a D-Link DCS-5020L pan and tilt camera. I monitor it with Zone Minder on a Linux PC. the D-Link software is Windoze only so to pan and tilt I have to open the camera up in a Windoze PC. This is a wireless or wired IP camera and needs power. I don't think you will find a battery operated camera. However if the camera is 12vdc a car battery could be used. I don't use the wireless because it keeps dropping out so I just ran a Cat 5 cable to the coop. I also have a HikVision and Amcrest POE (Power Over Internet) IP cameras. All the above are quite challenging to set up. Oh and I have the cameras feeding into a Ubuntu server PC for recording events.

A plug and play kit with cameras and DVR is much easier to setup than the way I do it. My neighbor has a cheap DVR based camera system and she knows next to nothing about technical things. I think she got it from Horrible Freight for $175 or so. Here is one from HF and I'm not saying it's a good or bad one just the first one I found lol.

JT

We don't have foxes in our area but we have coyotes. My neighbors saw them jumping into people's backyards so I am worried about them... plus we now have a very curious cat that keeps coming around. Honestly, I really want to just watch them sometimes. I get curious at work.

Thanks for the info trish! I will look those cameras up and if anyone else has any other brands let me know!!!
Yeah, chicken TV is the best! My monitor is set up right next to the tv so I can watch both. I usually end up watching the chickens more!

Darn ... was really hoping for a battery operated one but I guess it would run out of batteries fast. (Realistically I don't know if I knew they even existed.)

Thanks for the info jthorton. I look at those cams too.
They do make battery operated cameras, but those are pretty expensive. All the ones I have seen are motion sensored and not a continuous live feed. Battery life can range from 6 weeks to 3 months from what I've read.

Back
Top Bottom