coop close to house? on ground vs elevated?

Quote:
if this weren't the rental house, there'd be access holes all over this place
lol.png

With my first coop, I built it right up against the house- bad idea- when we tore the coop down- major Cockroach infestation! Used 8 cans of bug spray! And if you have roosters - they crow at night.

DavisCreek, the coop is looking great, and I can't believe how quickly you put it up. Could teach my husband how to complete a project in a timely manner.
wink.png

Quote:
Really? Were the roaches in between the coop and the house? I had also been thinking about how to/whether to build a coop up against the house... not for egg retrieval so much as for kitchen scrap disposal... open a window and dump those zucchini trimmings etc... It hadn't occurred to me that bugs might be a problem, I would have thought the hens would have made short work of them?

Last edited:
ours is about 200 feet from the house behind the veggie garden. Our coop has little to no odor, because we keep it clean. it is just a short trip to the mulch pile, short throw of weeds from the garden to the girls. We have an electric cord that runs out to it if we need lights.. but most times a big flashlight is all that is needed to close them up at night. We go out in the Am to let them out, collect the eggs when we get home from work and close them up around 7:30-- 8 pm. We have two problems.... getting water to them is a pain, I fill up gallon jugs and keep them in the coop... but in the winter it is a problem carring the water down in the snow and ice. Our coop is also built on the ground and we for ever have critters (mostly RATS) burrowing under it....I am forever clooging up thier holes. The girls free range for a few hours after we get home and they can do some damage to the lawn.. but we don't really care about that. We have a nice seating area set up by the coop so we can watch them in the summer.. they are very entertaining

So maybe I shouldn't put the coop under my daughter's bedroom window about 4 feet from the house? It is directly off of my laundry room which has a huge sink and door to outside, plus dh hates mowing that part of the lawn. We are getting 6 pullets from Beth G will they really be that noisy to wake her up?

Quote:
Just curious.... How do you water your veggie garden? My yard has only one fawcet. I put a three way splitter on it and am able to keep my horse water my goat water and my chicken water filled 24/7. My horses tank is 110 gallons the goat tank is 50 gallons and the chickens had a big dog bowl with a float valve. All with hoses across the ground. The horse is quite a distance away. I know in the winter time stuff freezes Is it possible to run PVC from the house for a water source and then cover it with pipe insulation or bury it?

Back
Top Bottom