Coop configuration help

brezbyme

Songster
Jan 27, 2018
We are making our coop out of a 16 x 10 metal storage building. We are adding two windows to catch cross breeze. It has double doors and we're fencing a pretty large area for their run. There is nothing but floor space in there now.
I need some ideas on what I should build for the inside. I have one week until back surgery so I will be having to move my chicks out there next week. They will be just over three weeks old. I want to build the inside to accommodate them now, high enough that I can interact with them when I can't bend, but that will serve a purpose when they are grown. Any ideas? Their brooder is a baby crib but with 20 of them, they have about outgrown it already.

Nice and roomy. You can do a lot with that space. Take your time and consider how you wish to manage your flock. I really enjoyed configuring mine.

I highly recommend partitions. They really come in handy for protecting broodies and their chicks, managing conflicts between individuals, and helps in corralling skittish chickens when you need to handle them.

Also could you let us know you're general location and/or climate?

When you say metal storage building, do you mean like a shed (as opposed to a shipping container)? If so what is the roof design? You'll want a LOT of ventilation for that many birds! :)

Also, since the building is metal, will it be shaded during summer months? If not the temperatures inside it could get terribly high.

An easy way to raise a brooder off the floor... maybe take a couple of sawhorses and some lumber to make a make-shift temporary table?

IMG_0702.jpg IMG_0701.jpg IMG_0700.jpg

I have the slatted sides of another old baby crib that I thought I would put up for them to roost on. If I placed one horizontally, and the other like a ladder up to it from the floor, would they enjoy that more than both horizontal? Since I have a lot of space, it won't be near the nesting boxes.

It's amazing how fast they grow, and how much 20 birds can weigh. While you may get away with that crib side for a week or two, they will all want to be at the same height, and most likely on the same perch. So, they will essentially outgrow that faster than you can put it up. I suggest that you not spend any time configuring things "for chicks" but go straight to "configuring for hens!". The chicks will adapt to the normal accommodations for adult sized birds. They will readily perch on the adult perches you install. I suggest 2 x 4, with edges rounded/sanded, laid on the flat. Put the perches at least 15" from back wall, allow 1 l.f./bird. Aart gives good recommendations for making the best use of your vertical space. If you put nest boxes in now, cover them up until the birds are close to POL to prevent the pullets from sleeping in the boxes.

General space recommendation: 4 s.f. in coop per bird.

Ventilation: = to 10% of floor space, or 1 s.f./bird. I like to have floor level AND ceiling level vents to take advantage of natural air flow (heat rises). Soffit vents, gable vents, and windows are all helpful.

More info about your current flock size, your flock goals would be helpful. Wishing you the best with your upcoming surgery, and quick healing, successful outcome.

I have 20 chicks, for eggs and fun. I will be allowing them to free range as much as possible, with some supervision. We are out of town far enough that there are predators so free ranging will be dependent upon what I see going on. We watch closely since we have small dogs and our property isn't fenced.

Thank you for the well wishes. I'm a pretty tough chick so I don't intend to be down long.

Also could you let us know you're general location and/or climate?

When you say metal storage building, do you mean like a shed (as opposed to a shipping container)? If so what is the roof design? You'll want a LOT of ventilation for that many birds! :)

Also, since the building is metal, will it be shaded during summer months? If not the temperatures inside it could get terribly high.

An easy way to raise a brooder off the floor... maybe take a couple of sawhorses and some lumber to make a make-shift temporary table?

I am posting pictures in just a sec. I should have thought about that. We are adding windows.
We are in central Oklahoma. We did put it out in the open, mostly because of the predator concerns. Where the trees are would make it very hard for us to monitor. The run will have shaded areas.

Back
Top Bottom