Crazy easy way to make hard boiled eggs

Guys, the OP gave us the ultimately easiest way to get perfect eggs. No need to add stuff, fuss over things, jump through hoops or worry about how they'll look.

I've had chickens off and on for 40+ years, and untill I read this, often bought eggs to hard boil if I wanted 'pretty' HB eggs for some reason. No more, we can enjoy wonderful tasting AND pretty HB eggs any time we want them now.

Quote:
Once I read this and tried it, there was no looking back! (except to laugh over all those ugly eggs that were only suitable for egg salad etc.) I think I WILL watch yard sales for one of those egg pealers though, sounds hilarious!

Add me to the list of converts, please.

I have this wonderful pot/spaghetti cooker/steamer combo that I found on sale at Bed, Bath and Beyond. So I put a dozen refrigerated, fresh eggs in the spaghetti cooker and warmed them up in a sinkful of slighty warm water while I waited for the pot to boil. Then I put the spaghetti cooker full of eggs in the boiling water. Not even one cracked.

Boiled for 15 minutes. In the meantime, I drained the sink and filled with ice water.

Then I put the spaghetti cooker and eggs into the ice water.

Again, not even one cracked.

And they have all peeled (literally) without a single bit of trouble.

Gorgeous yellow yolks, bright white whites. Cooked to perfection.

Thanks!!!
big_smile.png

Yep, so easy isn't it?! All that grumbling I used to do, if I'd only known then, what I know now! Oh, and just FYI, I don't go to extremes with ice water and all that, I just empty the boiling water out and fill with running cold water, and peel them under the water. Still works great!

Last edited:
You are right! My daughter came over--she lives in another town, now--and wanted to can (don't know WHY they don't call it "JAR"?!?!) picked eggs. She, the ULTIMATE English Major, ALWAYS reads directions or looks it up on the net. She did 4 dozen eggs, and ALL of them peeled easily. She kept the eggs out to reach room temperature, had the water at a rolling boil, put them in for 10 minutes, then cooled under running cold water, then a cold water bath. After about 10 minutes, she rolled them between her hands, and the shells came right off---ALL OF THEM. The handful that I boiled, the "traditional, cookbook way" were a PINA to peel. (Figure PINA out yourself.
gig.gif
) We know that they were hardboiled because there were some leftovers, so we ate 'em. I'm ready to change the way I do it!!
Deviled eggs are BACK ON THE MENU!!!!!!

Quote:
I use PITA myself!
lau.gif

This is good information. I have to make a bunch of deviled eggs tonight for a luncheon tomorrow.

I think I'll load the eggs into one of those stock pot colanders and then lower them all at once into the boiling water. Seems easier than doing it two/two especially since I have to make so many. Also would be easier to have a ice bath ready in another stock pot to put the hot eggs into.

Thanks!

ETA: I just boiled 4 dozen eggs all at once using the colander. I heated the water to a rolling boil, cooked eggs for 20 minutes because adding the eggs cooled the water down, then pulled eggs out, colander and all and dunked in another stock pot full of ice water. IT WORKED PERFECTLY!

Thanks for the tip!!

Last edited:
My water is now on the stove waiting to boil up and the eggs are sitting in luke warm water. But English is not my first language, what is a rolling boil? Slightly bubbly, very bubbly (which we call "waterfall boil") or somewhere in the middle?

Very excited to see how this turns out. BTW, the eggs are no more than a few days old.

Edit:

They were perfect! I took the eggs out of the fridge and put them in luke warm water when I turned on the stove (covering all my bases). Salt in the water, ladled the eggs carefully in at a medium boil (rapid bubbling) and waited 14 minutes. Switched the water with cold tap water a few times, and cracked the eggs, rolling them on a hard surface. I then put the cracked egg back in the water and rolled the others. Then I started peeling under water and it just came right off. I peeled a "belt" around them and the halves just slid off. I'm impressed! What a shame they were sliced up to go on sandwiches for my hubby.
lol.png

Last edited:
This method worked for me and I used some eggs that were laid the same morning. When I pour the hot water off I shake the eggs really hard in the pot casuing the shells to crack. When I put the ice and water in the opot the shells almost float off.

I also heard a cool hint today. When you are making deviled eggs, take the yolk and all of the other ingrediants and put them in a hevy duty plasic ziplock bag. Knead everthing together until mixed, then snip the corner of the bag and use like a pastry bag.

Back
Top Bottom