Creating the Corvalla! A chicken that looks like a crow

I think their point was that the black skin is important, which it is. 😉
It’s only in roosters that they might not have black skin. Hens have complete melanism. This is one of my Sumatra hens, and in this picture plus the ones I sent earlier, you can see their face is completely black.
CD891174-B5D9-49B6-AFD4-A7A9A61CECF5.jpeg

This is a interesting idea. I wonder if crow face has any actual negatives other than just not being a recognizable standard characteristic? I'm going for the chicken that looks like a hawk, but I'll be following this.
No negatives with the trait. Just just not really acceptable for showing for most breeds.

You want parrot beak for that for the curved beak, right? I think Malays are the right way to go, I've been looking into them more, & they look like mutant Malays. I'll be breeding mine, since they're finally laying, so I can probably test for the traits.

Yeah, I am just getting into orientals. So my knowledge is limited. But like Malays there are some pretty passive lines of asils. A quality most breeders breed out. The difference is Malay breeders (the ones I have been made aware of) breed for more body type, and less attitude. But we can continue this in a PM. If you are really interested PM me. But if not I understand... This is not a life or death issue.:D

Remember, black absorbs heat from sun. I free range in central Florida. Black animals here feel the heat more in the summer. They need more shade. Good luck!
I’m in central Georgia with Ayam Cemanis, BCMarans and other black birds. They do just fine as long as they have shade and water, and in serious heat any bird should have shade, water and misting options. Aside from huge oak trees shading their foraging area (I have issues finding enough sunlight to garden), they can get under the raised house which is always nice and cool! 👍

I hope the project is successful. But there are animals including chickens that see more colors than humans. I imagine hawks as well certainly having keener vision than humans. The iridescent factor on chickens may be more vibrant than we realize.

As a veteran and first responder, behavior is paramount in assessing risky situations. Animals know this. Chickens won’t behave like any crow much less an aggressive one and this will probably lead a hawk to think there’s something wrong with it.

Making a chicken look like a crow to a human may end up making it easy prey. In my flock I find certain colors (my solid lav) to be more of a target to predators than the others, but my more iridescent BCM EE had been attacked once. I plan on bringing in and breeding more camouflaged EE this spring.

Chickens have the instincts of prey animals and behave according. IMO breeding for camouflage and color breaks may be more effective that trying to create a Corvalla, but I hope it works out and wish you luck.
@Cat Ballou
Something more like this?
IMG_8200.JPG

Back
Top Bottom