Crested Cream Legbar Genotype vs. Phenotype

And -- not to be a broken record or anything (sorry), blue and green are culturally the least distinct colors, with some cultures calling them the same color. Not the best reference, but here's one:
Distinction of Blue and Green in Various Languages

I completely like to hear it over and over! Love the link!

Seriously, I am not sure where the preference came for blue eggs. I don't personally prefer blue over green and of the 45 or so hatching eggs I've received from 3 different breeders, most were OAC 123 with the bulk of the others OAC 151. I consider the former mint or sea-foam green and the other light aqua. So to my eye they are pretty much green to blue-green and that is perfectly fine according to SOP. Seems like we are getting hung up on narrowly focused color stuff while not talking about all of the other problems we have with the breed getting it up to SOP standards. Parsing Blue vs Green is not going to get the Cream Legbar accepted into the APA.

So from now on, keeping with the Celtic origins of the breed, I think I will start calling the egg color glas if they are OAC 123 to 151. If I feel the egg is particularly green maybe gwyrdd (which if I remember my Welsh is pronounced sort of goo-rthe or koo-ertha) just cuz its fun to try to pronounce!

("The word glas is usually translated as "blue". It can also refer, variously, to the color of the sea, of grass, or of silver. The word gwyrdd (a borrowing from Latin viridis) is the standard translation for "green".")

Last edited:
Normanack and Dredt, glas is an excellent word, the color of the sea, of grass, or of silver. Now we need a Celtic or other old word for the color of tropical waters, the aqua blue near a peach and apricot sunset, or the drop of a new mint leaf into a bucket of soft blue sky. Then, the way I see it a cream legbar egg is a shade softer version.

on the Phenotyp vs Genotype debate..

one can have a Cream Looking bird, heck even a Rich colored Cream colored bird, resembling cream with some red enhancers. with Silver (S/S) instead of Gold. and instead of cream(diluting the gold) we would have enhancers(Autosomal red, Mahogany) to enhance the Silver...

example: Salmon Faverolle, the male is a Duckwing type of bird(not the female) he looks golden but is infact red enhanced Silver..

Quote:

By opposite I am assuming you mean can you have a cream based (ig/ig) bird with red enhancers that would have the same phenotype as the enhanced silver...implying that many of the lemony looking boys with chestnut on the wings and back are a red enhanced ig/ig and not an Ig/ig or Ig/Ig rooster?

Do remember that Faverolles are e(wh) not e+ and that they can have quite a lot of AR--so much that some females can have red leakage too. But your point is well taken and it is my belief that this is true but I have not conducted experiments yet to confirm it. Hopefully Nicelandia will respond and elaborate.

Hi everyone,
Hi Dretd, I think that is what I'm saying. I'm not about to pretend that I understand all of the genetic jargon, but usually I can get the gist (with research & questions. lol) (folks, please don't PM me to stay out of conversations, or that I shouldn't be otherwise involved. : ) ) If you can get a cream bird that appears to have gold due to the AR that are actually Silver based birds, then it reasons that you can get a cream bird that appears to have Silver on a Gold based bird. Would that be correct?
Maybe I'm misconstrueing the word CAN.. to mean there are other possibilities, also?? Aren't some gold based birds "creamy" and some silver based birds "creamy"?

Hi everyone,
Hi Dretd, I think that is what I'm saying. I'm not about to pretend that I understand all of the genetic jargon, but usually I can get the gist (with research & questions. lol) (folks, please don't PM me to stay out of conversations, or that I shouldn't be otherwise involved. : ) ) If you can get a cream bird that appears to have gold due to the AR that are actually Silver based birds, then it reasons that you can get a cream bird that appears to have Silver on a Gold based bird. Would that be correct?
Maybe I'm misconstrueing the word CAN.. to mean there are other possibilities, also?? Aren't some gold based birds "creamy" and some silver based birds "creamy"?
So interesting! about the converse being true....

- don't tell me someone PMs a poster and tells them to stay out of conversations..... That wouldn't be acceptable BYC forum behavior...IMO.

Someone pm's posters and tells them to stay out of conversations?????? That is definitely not acceptable BYC forum behaviour.

I sure hope the moderators had a chance to handle the situation.......

Now the reason for my post. ..... If someone posts pictures of their legbars, would someone on this thread help make decisions about which young birds would be best for breeding?

Someone pm's posters and tells them to stay out of conversations?????? That is definitely not acceptable BYC forum behaviour.

I sure hope the moderators had a chance to handle the situation.......

Now the reason for my post. ..... If someone posts pictures of their legbars, would someone on this thread help make decisions about which young birds would be best for breeding?
Hi enola,

you will probably definitely get definite opinons for your breeding plans.... I think maybe more people visit this thread if you would want to post your pictures in it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/459044/the-legbar-thread/5910#post_12330570

There are quite a few CL threads zooming around on BYC..... and you will certainly get replys to your question!

Back
Top Bottom