Crusted eyes and ears with a foul smell

Tess Town

Hatching
Dec 3, 2017
Hello,
My little silky chicken has had crusted eyes and ears for almost a month. I’ve tried treating her with coconut oil and antibiotics (Tetracycline), Which didn’t seem to make her any better.
When I put coconut oil on her eyes they open, but otherwise they remain crusted shut. It is been a month since this started and I can’t for the life of me figure out how to help her. Now she has started to get crusting on the top of her head. I should also mention that she smells terrible. That said, she’s eating and drinking fine – as long as I put it where she can find it if her eyes were crusted shut. She is not wheezing, or coughing, or bubbling in her chest.
I see that other people have had similar problems on this forum, but I haven’t seen any outcomes posted…
Does anyone know what’s going on with my chicken? Or had this happen to their chicken? I will cull her if that’s what needs to happen, but I don’t want to do it if it’s not necessary.
Thanks
Tess

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your silkie, but she could be suffering from a chronic respiratory disease. Does she have any other respiratory symptoms? Silkies are difficult to diagnose with pictures, but can you try to post a picture of her eyes and head crust?

I would try flushing her eyes with saline, and applying some Terramycin eye ointment (from the feed store) twice a day. If you can get some amoxicillin or Fish Mox online, I would give her a 250 mg capsule split into 2 doses daily for 7 days.

Are any other chickens around or affected?

Back
Top Bottom