Culling with baking soda and vinegar

grannyhowie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 26, 2012
Sheffield vlg. Ohio
I wished I'd never done it. After reading a few threads saying how humane it was and that they wouldn't suffer I decided to use this method on my adult EE. She needed to be put down because she had been unable to move her legs for about six months, had stopped eating and was losing weigh. So I wanted to end her suffering and could not afford a vet. Well don't believe them when they say that they just fall asleep. They don't. They suffocate to death and it is horrible. I cried my eyes out for what I did to her. I had to listen to her pecking at the lid to get out. I'm just plain sick over it. I agree that breaking the neck or cutting it off would be the best and fastest way to end it. Don't do what I did. It's to cruel.

If its an adult then get u a piece of pvc or broom stick. Lay across neck and stand on broomstick. One foot on each side.turn backwards if u cant watch.
with chicks that can fit in a coffee can with a lid, place folded paper towel in bottom spray with starter fluid (either).Place chick inside can walk away 10 minutes. they sleep n dont wake up.

I wished I'd never done it. After reading a few threads saying how humane it was and that they wouldn't suffer I decided to use this method on my adult EE. She needed to be put down because she had been unable to move her legs for about six months, had stopped eating and was losing weigh. So I wanted to end her suffering and could not afford a vet. Well don't believe them when they say that they just fall asleep. They don't. They suffocate to death and it is horrible. I cried my eyes out for what I did to her. I had to listen to her pecking at the lid to get out. I'm just plain sick over it. I agree that breaking the neck or cutting it off would be the best and fastest way to end it. Don't do what I did. It's to cruel.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Please try not to beat yourself up because you were only trying to do the right thing and that's all any of us can do.

Thank you so much for your kind words. It does make me feel a little better because it just happened yesterday and I feel so guilty. I kept waking up all night thinking about it and crying. She was one of my sweetest hens. We babied her for over 6 months. I would make an awful animal farmer. I just don't the heart to take a life. I guess I need to stick to vegetables. I could cut the top off of a carrot any day lol.

No one is perfect, and I can't imagine what you are going thru. It happens, and you know now how you wouldn't do it again. And that is awfully brave to post how you went about it knowing that you might get flak. I would try not to worry about it. You did what you thought was the best, and it just didn't work out that way. We all make mistakes....and we learn from them. That is what truly matters. Praying that the pain and sorrow you feel will pass quickly. You did do what was right for her in the end.....

Obviously you attempted the CO2 method. Please review the AVMA Guidelines for Euthanasia. https://www.avma.org/KB/Policies/Pa...utm_term=issues-animal_welfare-euthanasia-pdf

It is perfectly acceptable and humane when done correctly. Vinegar and soda is not correctly. With a proper chamber, a tank of CO2 and a flow regulator it is a simple and painless process. It is the preferred method when culling flocks of resident canadian geese.

Now as an aside I am genuinely sorry for your loss and the suffering you feel but honestly use this time for introspection if just maybe your personal emotional issues might be doing your animals more harm than good. None of us wish to inflict undue suffering on animals but that cannot be an excuse to avoid the unpleasant tasks of life or to justify experimentation for our own selfish desires.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Please try not to beat yourself up because you were only trying to do the right thing and that's all any of us can do.

What would be the right this is for people to stop saying its humane. It's not - at all, and anyone who has ever seen it done or knows anything about physiology knows that.

One way to put a terminally ill bird out of misery is to hold it in your lap, pet it's back and talk to it, while slitting the throat with a very sharp knife quickly (and carefully so you don't also cut yourself).

No one is perfect, and I can't imagine what you are going thru. It happens, and you know now how you wouldn't do it again. And that is awfully brave to post how you went about it knowing that you might get flak. I would try not to worry about it. You did what you thought was the best, and it just didn't work out that way. We all make mistakes....and we learn from them. That is what truly matters. Praying that the pain and sorrow you feel will pass quickly. You did do what was right for her in the end.....

Thank you so much and I almost didn't want to read the responses because I was afraid that people might make me feel worse then I already do. I really just wanted to warn others of what really happens. I didn't want them to go thru what I am going thru. I am very thankful for the encouraging words from both of you. God Bless

Back
Top Bottom