Curled feet.

Thank you both, one is looking better but the smaller one is starting to look a tad splayed leg too :( Think that’s from how it’s waddling around as they are on a thick bed of shavings. The absolute galling thing is that it’s eating and drinking well and trying it’s absolute best. I’m loathed to do but I’m going to have to bite the bullet.......

Yes they are incubator hatched. These are the only 2 out of 24 that have hatched with bad feet though. I did lose 2 others as well who were weak and just didn’t thrive unfortunately. I’ve tried with tape etc to make it more comfortable but it seems the bones have developed wrong.
Getting back to this a little late but do you know if it took longer for those chicks to get out of the shell? Sometimes the longer it takes, the more likely they will have disfigured toes, curled toes which is almost impossible to correct, due to the fact that the bones have already begun to harden.

The poor little thing passed away over night :(
Thank you everyone for your help.
So sorry to hear that. :hit:hugs
The "shot glass" idea was excellent. I've read and heard of peeps doing that but I never have tried it before, if their that bad , I usually do the hard choice and cull. Again, sorry!

Thank you everyone. Still feel a bit :( about it but it wasn’t the first and certainly wont be the last. All part of hatching.
Everyone else seems to be looking ok so knock on a big piece of wood everything else will go smoothly :fl

Goose eggs are next..........

Getting back to this a little late but do you know if it took longer for those chicks to get out of the shell? Sometimes the longer it takes, the more likely they will have disfigured toes, curled toes which is almost impossible to correct, due to the fact that the bones have already begun to harden.

To be quite honest I’m not exactly sure how long it was pipped before hatching as the incubator was pretty busy but this could certainly have been the case with it. I’m thinking now the splay leg started because it was trying to compensate for the curled feet. It was waddling some what but after the bigger ones got hold of it that was the straw that broke the camels back....

Good luck with the Geese! Are you hatching the nice ones or the guard ones?!

Farm one’s so sort of guard ones for a while but they will be for Christmas dinner. Once I’ve hatched them I keep them for a week or so then they go back to the farmer. He grows them on and does the dispatching of them. Last years started like this ~

And ended up like this ~

:fl for the ones that lay the golden egg !

Would love one of those :lol:

Back
Top Bottom