Day 18 pip!

ThreePumpkins

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 5, 2014
North central Pennsylvania
Tonight I put my Easter Eggers and Cuckoo Marans eggs into day 18 lockdown and was surprised by a pipped egg! The chick was rocking and a rollin' and chirping up a storm. Quickly got the eggs back in the incubator.

What a day! My shipped chicks from Meyer Hatchery didn't arrive today like I was expecting, but I have a hatching egg pipping early...completely unexpected.

All eggs looked good...fingers crossed for a good hatch!:jumpy

Tonight I put my Easter Eggers and Cuckoo Marans eggs into day 18 lockdown and was surprised by a pipped egg! The chick was rocking and a rollin' and chirping up a storm. Quickly got the eggs back in the incubator.

What a day! My shipped chicks from Meyer Hatchery didn't arrive today like I was expecting, but I have a hatching egg pipping early...completely unexpected.

All eggs looked good...fingers crossed for a good hatch!:jumpy
When did you start your incubation day count? Did you count day one 24 hours after you put the eggs in the bator, or the day you put them in? I have found that my own eggs hatch quite reliably a day earlier than shipped eggs..... Why?, I have no idea, maybe because they dont have to unscramble themselves like the shipped eggs. Give your humidity a boost and wait for those adorable little, weird, wet things to appear.:weeI wish you a very successful hatch!

When did you start your incubation day count? Did you count day one 24 hours after you put the eggs in the bator, or the day you put them in? I have found that my own eggs hatch quite reliably a day earlier than shipped eggs..... Why?, I have no idea, maybe because they dont have to unscramble themselves like the shipped eggs. Give your humidity a boost and wait for those adorable little, weird, wet things to appear.:weeI wish you a very successful hatch!

Thank you! I went and checked my notes and today is day 18. I started my day one 24 hours after I set my eggs. Things are definitely off to an interesting start.

Something to consider is that perhaps your incubator was on the hotter side during incubation. This can bring on an early hatch. What bator are you using? Do you have an independent calibrated thermometer and hygrometer in the bator along with those that came with it?

Something to consider is that perhaps your incubator was on the hotter side during incubation. This can bring on an early hatch. What bator are you using? Do you have an independent calibrated thermometer and hygrometer in the bator along with those that came with it?

I am using a Janoel 12 and this is its first test hatch. I have an independent digital calibrated thermometer and hygrometer. I checked the temperature and humidity several times a day and they were always fairly steady. I am guessing my thermometer calibration is on the high side though. Will make note of it. Air cells look good.

Back
Top Bottom