Day 20 incubation help

DuckinAintEasy

Hatching
Sep 12, 2021
I am so crushed! Been incubating duck eggs for first time. We initially had 3 (one went bad early on). The two remaining have been thriving and growing and moving and doing great when all of a sudden I candles one of them (day 20) and saw this. Didn’t see any movement and I’m certain this is not positive and prob bacteria. I have been taking the eggs out of incubator these last few days to room temp and then back in incubator as I have read and I wonder if that did it. The other egg that looks intact seems to be ok but don’t want to mess that one up. Any pointers on what I should do or what happened here? Really appreciate the insight and positive vibes for us to at least have one survive. P.s. the humidity levels have been tough to keep constant thanks to the incubator i have but trying to keep at 55-65%. TIA

Attachments

• 28722C72-7B73-411A-9F22-5D3DDAABE61F.jpeg
    28722C72-7B73-411A-9F22-5D3DDAABE61F.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 809708C9-777B-4A4C-9EDF-3521719A8306.jpeg
    809708C9-777B-4A4C-9EDF-3521719A8306.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 52FBB3C5-89C1-4DC8-8449-73B0794B6FE9.jpeg
    52FBB3C5-89C1-4DC8-8449-73B0794B6FE9.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 5
They are dead. So you are telling me you let them get to room temp before putting them in the back incubator multiple times?

They are dead. So you are telling me you let them get to room temp before putting them in the back incubator multiple times?
The pics are just one egg. I did not post the other as it is still moving and has not changed. I had read that after day 14 or so to take them out once a day and mist them with warm water and bring surface temp down to about 80 degrees or so.

The pics are just one egg. I did not post the other as it is still moving and has not changed. I had read that after day 14 or so to take them out and mist them with warm water and bring surface temp down to about 80 degrees or so.
I’m sorry. Where did you read that? Please don’t do that. I don’t want to sound harsh here but that will surely kill your eggs. Im glad the other one is still ok. Don’t take him out of the incubator anymore unless you want to candle! ☺️ If you have any questions I’ll be happy to answer.

I’m sorry. Where did you read that? Please don’t do that. I don’t want to sound harsh here but that will surely kill your eggs. Im glad the other one is still ok. Don’t take him out of the incubator anymore unless you want to candle! ☺️ If you have any questions I’ll be happy to answer.
Thanks! I read it in multiple places. The argument is to simulate mother duck leaving nest and then returning, etc. thanks for your reply.

I am so crushed! Been incubating duck eggs for first time. We initially had 3 (one went bad early on). The two remaining have been thriving and growing and moving and doing great when all of a sudden I candles one of them (day 20) and saw this. Didn’t see any movement and I’m certain this is not positive and prob bacteria. I have been taking the eggs out of incubator these last few days to room temp and then back in incubator as I have read and I wonder if that did it. The other egg that looks intact seems to be ok but don’t want to mess that one up. Any pointers on what I should do or what happened here? Really appreciate the insight and positive vibes for us to at least have one survive. P.s. the humidity levels have been tough to keep constant thanks to the incubator i have but trying to keep at 55-65%. TIA
Dead

I think I read that on Metzers website but chose not to do it as most places here don’t recommend it. I only took mine out to candle/examine and put them right back.

I'm so sorry! I have read to remove the heat and spray a light mist on them. Then return to incubator to mimic momma duck leaving the nest to eat and bathe. I don't do it very often and instead of removing the eggs, I just remove the incubator lid. Then after 10 minutes or so I replace it and let it climb back to temp. This is first time as well tho so I am unable to help. Mine are at day 26. Sorry I couldn't offer any help! Hopefully your last one will make it and you can find it a friend ❤

Back
Top Bottom