The chicken nurd

Songster
Apr 4, 2021
today I found that one of my budgies had passed she was lying on the bottom of the cage so not sure what happened
My question is could my 3 other budgies be sick and could it have somehow passed from my chickens to my budgies

@BantyChooks
Did she show any signs of illness? Are your others showing any signs? Could she have been eggbound? I recently lost a young male that had gotten injured most likely and couldn’t fly to roost with the other birds during a night of bad weather. But he showed signs of a problem for at least a week or more.

today I found that one of my budgies had passed she was lying on the bottom of the cage so not sure what happened
My question is could my 3 other budgies be sick and could it have somehow passed from my chickens to my budgies
There are many causes of death for budgies. I'd say transmission from your chickens is a bit unlikely unless you have sickly chickens too. Do you have metal water bowls that you wash out daily? Contaminated water causes illness over time and is one of the most common causes of death for pet budgies. Without symptoms beforehand, diagnosing the cause of death over the internet is extremely difficult.

There are many causes of death for budgies. I'd say transmission from your chickens is a bit unlikely unless you have sickly chickens too. Do you have metal water bowls that you wash out daily? Contaminated water causes illness over time and is one of the most common causes of death for pet budgies. Without symptoms beforehand, diagnosing the cause of death over the internet is extremely difficult.
Thanks for the reply
I think your probably right about the water cause I do use metal bowls and change it every few days but I’m not consistent with keep them clean

@BantyChooks
Did she show any signs of illness? Are your others showing any signs? Could she have been eggbound? I recently lost a young male that had gotten injured most likely and couldn’t fly to roost with the other birds during a night of bad weather. But he showed signs of a problem for at least a week or more.
Thanks for the reply
I hadn’t been home for a few days so my dad was taking care of them for me he said he didn’t see any signs of illness and I didn’t either before i left
My other birds seem ok there quieter than usual and a little fluffed up but that’s it

Thanks for the reply
I hadn’t been home for a few days so my dad was taking care of them for me he said he didn’t see any signs of illness and I didn’t either before i left
My other birds seem ok there quieter than usual and a little fluffed up but that’s it
That's normal for them to do that after the death of their friend. My boy died because he was kept in the same room as my rats and the ammonia levels sadly got to high... we also discovered we had black mold in the house shortly after and birds like budgies are highly susceptible to smells

Are the bowls stainless steel? Some metals are very toxic to birds. You need to clean out the waters at least once a day. I scrub my budgies out every day with a bit of natural dish soap and a paper towel, rinse super good, and then usually rinse it out again in late afternoon/early evening. Be careful getting small animal bottles as they can be really hard to clean and build up bacteria very quickly. I think it's very possible that they could have got something from your chickens, everyone should be very, very careful to wash hands and clothing that has come into contact with poultry before touching anything our parrots will have access to. To be sure that the others are not sick, the best option would be to take them to a certified avian vet.
How old was the bird? What were they eating? What kind of living/housing situation were they in?
I hope I'm not sounding rude, just passionate about birds and trying to help :)

Are the bowls stainless steel? Some metals are very toxic to birds. You need to clean out the waters at least once a day. I scrub my budgies out every day with a bit of natural dish soap and a paper towel, rinse super good, and then usually rinse it out again in late afternoon/early evening. Be careful getting small animal bottles as they can be really hard to clean and build up bacteria very quickly. I think it's very possible that they could have got something from your chickens, everyone should be very, very careful to wash hands and clothing that has come into contact with poultry before touching anything our parrots will have access to. To be sure that the others are not sick, the best option would be to take them to a certified avian vet.
How old was the bird? What were they eating? What kind of living/housing situation were they in?
I hope I'm not sounding rude, just passionate about birds and trying to help :)
Thanks for the reply the bowls are stainless steel and I’ve had them for a while with no trouble I rinse every few days but I’m not home daily
The bird was about 3 or 4
She was eating kaytee fortee diet I’ve never had problems with food but it’s possible
They live in a large wire cage big enough for 3 - 4 birds with lots of toys I’ll post a picture below

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    789.7 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the reply the bowls are stainless steel and I’ve had them for a while with no trouble I rinse every few days but I’m not home daily
The bird was about 3 or 4
She was eating kaytee fortee diet I’ve never had problems with food but it’s possible
They live in a large wire cage big enough for 3 - 4 birds with lots of toys I’ll post a picture below
Ok. Is there anyone who can rinse them for you?
If there's someone home who can feed them, maybe add vegetables to their diet. Just make sure they get taken out after a few hours.
I like that cage!

Back
Top Bottom