Brianna1985

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2020
We were on day 19 of incubation and the night before the chick started chirping. It was always chirping but then today (day 19) after and hour or two I realized I hadn’t heard any chirping i checked the heat and humidity everything was fine. I thought maybe the chick drowned and couldn’t get out. So, I very quickly put a little hole in the egg and put it back in the incubator, but the chick didn’t move at all so I realized after a few minutes that is was probably dead so I opened up the egg and every thing looked fine. Besides the fact that is looked like it had slight cross beak. Is that why it never hatched? If not, why didn’t it hatch?

We were on day 19 of incubation and the night before the chick started chirping. It was always chirping but then today (day 19) after and hour or two I realized I hadn’t heard any chirping i checked the heat and humidity everything was fine. I thought maybe the chick drowned and couldn’t get out. So, I very quickly put a little hole in the egg and put it back in the incubator, but the chick didn’t move at all so I realized after a few minutes that is was probably dead so I opened up the egg and every thing looked fine. Besides the fact that is looked like it had slight cross beak. Is that why it never hatched? If not, why didn’t it hatch?
I don't know why it didn't hatch. i'm sorry this happent that's really weird!

I'm in several egg and hatching groups and people who typically have 80-90+% hatch rates are reporting lots of late-stage in-egg deaths. Nobody seems to be entirely sure why.

That said, if the chick visibly had scissorbeak, it may be that it was suffering from other abnormalities you couldn't see, and those were the COD.

I’m not 100% sure but I’ve been reading a lot about when a chick starts to chirp. When the chick starts to chirp it means it has entered the air sac and needs to “pip” the shell before it runs out of oxygen. If it fails to pip through it will suffocate. I had a chick pip last night and I looked at it and noticed that it did not break through the white paper thingy so I poked a hole myself to make sure it could get air and then left it alone. It hatched over night just fine. I wonder though if I should just poke a hole in all chirping chicks eggs just to be safe idk if that’s safe to do though. it worries me I don’t want my babies to die like that.

Back
Top Bottom