Diarrhea in one of my chickens.

Stitched with Love

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2023
Hi everyone,
This is my first time here and first time chicken owner. First I'm so grateful for all of you I haven't had to ask a question yet cause it's already been asked and answered.
I have 5 buff's and 4 Rhode Island reds. One of my rir has been having diarrhea. Yesterday she seemed really depressed, a little puffed up and distanced herself from the other hens. She was and is still eating and drinking. Early yesterday morning they had a lot of new foods (bugs under blocks and leaves from a zucchini plant). I ordered amprolium and started the whole flock on it today.
I've been keeping a close eye on her and she had a huge formed bowel movement that was super green with undigested grass.
Am I just being a lunatic or is something seriously wrong with her.
I took some pics of the poop.
Thank you for any info!

Attachments

• IMG_20230827_154124578.jpg
    IMG_20230827_154124578.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20230827_154018417.jpg
    IMG_20230827_154018417.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 8
Hi
Im sorry your hen is ill
I am no chicken expert but I can tag some for you
all I can think of is she may need grit
@aart @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock
They do have access to grit at all times.
Hi
Im sorry your hen is ill
I am no chicken expert but I can tag some for you
all I can think of is she may need grit
@aart @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock
Thank you for the info! They do have access to grit at all times. I'm just not sure what to do. She seems to be ok at times.

Knowing their age and if they lay eggs is good to know. Offer the sick one some scrambled egg and stop the new foods. Make sure that she is drinking water. How much amprollium are you putting in the water? Is it the 9.6% liquid?

Can you get photos of her?

How old is she?
What do you feed?
They have grit - is it the appropriate size for their age?

When was her last egg?
She's 23 weeks old. I feed them an organic crumble that I ferment. I do still have them on chick grit but have adult grit, should I switch?
As far as eggs I have no idea who's laying what. My Buffs are pretty dramatic so I know when they lay.
She seems to be doing much better after the quite large poop.

Knowing their age and if they lay eggs is good to know. Offer the sick one some scrambled egg and stop the new foods. Make sure that she is drinking water. How much amprollium are you putting in the water? Is it the 9.6% liquid?
She's 23 weeks. I'm giving the corid 9.6 1t in a gallon of water.

Back
Top Bottom