Dixie Chicks

Welcome! And yup, that's farm life! :D

Yeah, lived on a cattle farm when I was married, & the grandson is luckily getting that exposure thru my son & ex-husband, but I give him other aspects of it. My son says he's so happy I have the animals...he escapes the caring & paying for them lol but his son still gets to be around & experience it. He loves helping gather eggs. Literally one of his first words was vocalizing a rooster crowing. Even now, he doesn't identify animals by name, but rather by the sound they make. I've been working on teaching names for a while, but he's a lil stuck in his way lol.

Thanks for the welcomes...I've been on BYC for a few months but just decided to see what this thread was about.

Deb, I don't go to FB any longer and all the data mining and what its turned into makes me sad. I have learned to keep filters up, and blockers on, and I have ONE email addy I won't give out without first snai-lmailing a letter to myself and replying about where it is really necessary to share it in that instance. That gives me a quick check spot for security. But I had wondered about the "little green arrow" here...and clicked one once without much interesting happening...and now I know its very handy function, and you saved me a bunch of time and frustration! (so thanks again
wink.png
)

Betty

Quote: Why would it be 75%? Shouldn't it be 50%??

But yes... I need rosecombs because of frostbite.

The two I hatched that are single combs, no one wants to buy them, even at a bargain basement price... I am just not sure if I can get myself to kill chicks at hatch.........

Which means I need to kill my single comb hens, or put them in a different area so that I don't accidentally incubate their eggs...

I am just super upset.... this is why you are supposed to have only ONE breed, and at least 4 separate chicken runs.... so you can have multiple pairings and roosters, and test matings etc. etc.

barnie.gif

frow.gif
Hi jldward, I am a new egg here too. Warning: this thread is addictive. Seems like a super nice place with great people. I hear you have to beware of wolves though.

Yeah, lived on a cattle farm when I was married, & the grandson is luckily getting that exposure thru my son & ex-husband, but I give him other aspects of it. My son says he's so happy I have the animals...he escapes the caring & paying for them lol but his son still gets to be around & experience it. He loves helping gather eggs. Literally one of his first words was vocalizing a rooster crowing. Even now, he doesn't identify animals by name, but rather by the sound they make. I've been working on teaching names for a while, but he's a lil stuck in his way lol.

Thanks for the welcomes...I've been on BYC for a few months but just decided to see what this thread was about.

Great way to raise kids, very glad your GS has a great grandma... :)

This thread is awesome... started by Amberjem, and joined by all us misfits, lol... we share our trials, triumphs and problems and help each other as we can... we're all just who we are... welcome and hope to hear more about your farm and awesome GS...

I wonder.....

how am I going to replace my rooster with a hetero rooster???

can't decide...

I could raise up one of his sons... but then I will have to wait for the chick to be grown up, test mate, etc. before I KNOW, and then the rooster will have a 50% of being a hetero..

or... I could order another set of eggs, related (same breeder as before, I don't know anyone who has this breed), but at least it wouldn't be the son over his mothers..... but the chicks I raised would maybe be hetero or homo..... who knows, and I would be out more money..... and I would still have to wait for the chick to grow up and test mate to see what I ended up with

Why would it be 75%?  Shouldn't it be 50%??

But yes... I need rosecombs because of frostbite.

The two I hatched that are single combs, no one wants to buy them, even at a bargain basement price...  I am just not sure if I can get myself to kill chicks at hatch.........

Which means I need to kill my single comb hens, or put them in a different area so that I don't accidentally incubate their eggs...

I am just super upset.... this is why you are supposed to have only ONE breed, and at least 4 separate chicken runs.... so you can have multiple pairings and roosters, and test matings etc. etc.

:barnie
you are right 50%. That's what I get for trying to think genetics and watch TV.

I wonder.....

how am I going to replace my rooster with a hetero rooster???

can't decide...

I could raise up one of his sons... but then I will have to wait for the chick to be grown up, test mate, etc. before I KNOW, and then the rooster will have a 50% of being a hetero..

or... I could order another set of eggs, related (same breeder as before, I don't know anyone who has this breed), but at least it wouldn't be the son over his mothers..... but the chicks I raised would maybe be hetero or homo..... who knows, and I would be out more money.....  and I would still have to wait for the chick to grow up and test mate to see what I ended up with
are you just wanting white? Could you get a proven homozygous roo shipped to you from somewhere?

Back
Top Bottom