DIY incubator opinions wanted

shawn54

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 9, 2016
Hastings Pa
I am building a incubator and plan to use Incukit DC unit because it seems to cover my needs in 1 package but wanted opinion of others who have used it.

First I'll say I don't have one but if need arose for another incubator I'd build and use this. People I trust use it and like it. Then a lot of bad reviews came out. I'll cut and paste a review that may explain the burning out issue. Made sense to me, don't run it over capacity (insulate):

After having played with this unit for a few hours now, I would say you should not use it in anything larger. I have noticed three less-than-perfect things about this unit. First, if you follow the installation instructions (which are not very detailed), then there is a small gap around the top of the unit where it comes though the plexi-glass. If you don't cover the gap, hot air escapes up past the unit to the outside, and the heater runs above 60% capacity all the time (which the instructions say is bad). I am sure you can burn out the motor this way (explaining the bad reviews). If you close the gap with something (I'm using cotton balls right now, but will later use some kind of foam insulating strip under the plexi-glass) it does MUCH better!

Second, it is hard to get the heat evenly distributed in the rectangular box I have. A square box would definitely be better. I am going to try adding an auxiliary fan to the next hatch, or squaring off the interior of this box with more foam insulation or more water jars.

Third, the temperature gauge does not seem to be set accurately. I have two other temperature gauges that agree with each other (both IncuTherm Plus models from the Incubator Warehouse), and this unit's gauge reads about 1.5 degrees lower than them. I don't see this as a big problem as the gauge is adjustable, so you can calibrate it to anything you want. Just be sure you're right! ;)

So, overall, I like it. I think it is a good value for the money, reasonably durable, and fairly flexible in its application, but it requires some adjustments. By the way, the Incubator Warehouse also sells a humidifier (you may need to go to their website to buy it though). I would give THAT 5 Stars!

Last edited:
My box is 16 long 11wide and 12.5 deep with 1.5 foam walls all around it is a heavy duty foam cooler and is in wooden box. When I talked to incubatorwarehouse they thought it wood be ok. Then said if not to small wattage bulb in to assist in heating. I think I will give it a try. Thanks for the info. Shawn

They are designed with table top turner size in mind. As long as vent holes are not gaping and some thought to insulative value is in mind they should be fine. Has the capacity feature that tells you as soon as it's up and running. If over 50% all the time then it's likely to burn out. Simple enough. Honestly the route I'll go if in need of another incubator or if making a hatcher for staggered time intervals of eggs in incubator.

This is my first try at building a bator the foam cooler I am using is one that was used to ship frozen cookie dough it is well insulated built wood box around it to support rocker egg turner plan to put water jars in to hold heat. When I figure out how to post pics I will. Thanks for info.

Was able to add pic rocker works just waiting on micro switches and timers. I'm a machinist by trade so those parts where easy to make. But the original plan was to use controls on incukit but design of cam was not consistent from side to side so I'm going to use micro switches and timers to reverse dc motor. A little more cost but will be more consistent on turning .

I didn't know if I should start new thread. But this is diy question. How much ventilation is needed in a incubator this size?

Things are moving fast now I I done some online searches and found some help with electronics I now have my egg turner working well. Got a Incukit DC and I'm getting it installed asap. I hope to set up soon my grandfather has silkies laying.

Back
Top Bottom