bethsbabybirds

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2020
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, first time poster and first time raising chicks.

We bought two blacktails (Rhode Island Red x Light Sussex) which were supposed to be sex linked hens. But I’m noticing that one is looking very different to the other. Seems to be feathering slower and darker, has a smaller tail and a slightly bigger comb. They are just under three weeks old still so I don’t know if it’s too soon to tell, but I’m worried it may be a Rhode Island Red male by mistake.

One picture is cream legbar and then the two black tails (worried the one on the right is the male)

Other picture is a closer up of its comb.

As I say, I am totally new to chicks so I don’t know if it’s normal for different birds to mature differently, or if it’s just too early to tell. I would really appreciate any advice - thanks :)

Attachments

• CC852D81-088A-4DD8-8A13-5EEA75B29DD6.jpeg
    CC852D81-088A-4DD8-8A13-5EEA75B29DD6.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 7CA03A6B-A752-4C7F-A459-D069A6A74395.jpeg
    7CA03A6B-A752-4C7F-A459-D069A6A74395.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 21

We bought two blacktails (Rhode Island Red x Light Sussex) which were supposed to be sex linked hens. But I’m noticing that one is looking very different to the other. Seems to be feathering slower and darker, has a smaller tail and a slightly bigger comb. They are just under three weeks old still so I don’t know if it’s too soon to tell, but I’m worried it may be a Rhode Island Red male by mistake.

One picture is cream legbar and then the two black tails (worried the one on the right is the male)

As I say, I am totally new to chicks so I don’t know if it’s normal for different birds to mature differently, or if it’s just too early to tell. I would really appreciate any advice - thanks :)
Yes, you do. Sorry.

Pic of the CCLB as a chick?

Back
Top Bottom