Do my egg laying hens still need oyster shell

Just continue with what your doing. You can leave oyster shell out year round, even though they may not touch it. Some feed layer and some don't with roosters in the flock. Yes, calcium it's said to be bad for chicks and roosters. I don't have a rooster anymore, but I use 20% starter/grower, with oyster shell in a separate container.

I don't feed them laying feed just because of my rooster, I was told it's hard for his kidneys. Is that true? I feel torn on what to do for him and the girls
You're doing great with no calcium feed and oyster shell on the side. The rooster doesn't need as much calcium because he doesn't make egg shells.

Unfortunately when many people claim that they free range they really mean that their hens have the run of their side yard for a few hours ever day.

Free range means that there are no restrictions of any kind on the free movements of livestock.

This makes it important IMHO for you to offer a dish or cup of grit and oyster shell feed free choice. Anyway, cracked granite grit and to a lesser degree crushed oyster shell will keep for millenniums without any decrease in effectiveness or nutritional value so it seems to me like failing to provide these things is penny wise but Pound foolish..

If they have feed with calcium in it, then you could probably get by without the oyster shell until spring. But it doesn't hurt to leave a little out, like sourland suggests. They'll only eat what they need.
I don't feed them laying feed just because of my rooster, I was told it's hard for his kidneys. Is that true? I feel torn on what to do for him and the girls

The old saw about laying mash or pellets harming a roosters' kidneys is I my opinion a lot of bunk that was first thought up in one of the "humane" organizations in an effort to overly complicate the keeping of backyard chickens. These originations hope is that you will throw up your hands in frustration and stop keeping chickens.

Back
Top Bottom